PDA

View Full Version : Early introduction of flight safety concepts

Genghis the Engineer
3rd Jul 2009, 10:12
This has to be shared - setting, yesterday, my kitchen. Persons present - my wife, and my nephew (aged about 5).

Nephew has just been exploring switches and managed to turn the dishwasher off at the mains halfway through a cycle.

Wife: Now, you shouldn't do that. It's okay to ask what switches do, but not to press them without asking.

Nephew: Why?

Wife: Well, if you were flying in uncle Genghis' aeroplane, it wouldn't be a good idea to push any buttons without asking him first.

Nephew: But uncle Genghis' aeroplane hasn't got a dishwasher !

G

Mike744
3rd Jul 2009, 11:24
Uncle Genghis doesn't have a wife then :p

Whopity
3rd Jul 2009, 11:27
A child of a similar age came into the cockpit of a large military transport, looked all around then focused on the radar.
After a short paused he asked "Is that a picture of the Windscreen Wiper?"
Perhaps we could have convinced him it was the dish washer!

Final 3 Greens
3rd Jul 2009, 11:51
Third hand info, but I believe that one of the 1st gen jet airliners had a stick shaker that could be tested from the FE panel.

Apparently, a favourite prank was for small to child to enter cockpit and ask 'mister, does this plane have guns?'

Then the capt would say, 'yep, here's the trigger', pointing to one of the buttons on the yoke, 'would you like to try them?'

After a count of three, the kid would depress the button and the FE would 'test' the stick shaker, after which little Johnny had a hell of a story to tell his astonished parents.

Don't know if it is true, but its a nice story.