PDA

View Full Version : Installing a Garmin 430W in a PA28

jayemm
2nd Jul 2009, 13:33
As a group we're looking to buy a new Garmin GNS 430W and have it installed in our Warrior.

Can anyone recommend companies or organisations that will buy and install it?

Thanks

IO540
2nd Jul 2009, 14:49
I'd recommend Airtime in Bournemouth for avionics work.

jez d
2nd Jul 2009, 14:51
Tatenhill Aviation (Tatenhill), Lees Avoinics (Booker), to name but two.

Do be careful however that whoever does the installation is Garmin approved, otherwise the warranty is void.

Regards, jez

IO540
2nd Jul 2009, 14:57
Do be careful however that whoever does the installation is Garmin approved, otherwise the warranty is void.

In theory, a non Garmin dealer cannot buy this product in the UK, but in practice he can, from a well known outlet which sells loads of them and Garmin are happy with it. Are all those installations without a warranty? IMHO this restrictive practice is a bit vague around the edges.

jayemm
2nd Jul 2009, 15:22
Thanks gents. Any other suggestions are welcome.

Is there any evidence that installing this kit would increase the overall value of the PA28?

jollyrog
2nd Jul 2009, 15:51
Try also Brian Cook of Bournemouth Avionics (based at Goodwood).

He installed a Garmin GTX328 and a GMA340 in our Warrior last December and was the best quote of the thirteen I sought. His work was fine and he delivered on time. No complaints at all.

PM me for contact details if you're interested.

I sought quotes from all of the companies so far mentioned and they were all good enough to respond with proper, written quotes.

IO540
2nd Jul 2009, 16:25
Is there any evidence that installing this kit would increase the overall value of the PA28?

You never increase the value of a plane by spending money on avionics (or anything else actually) to a greater extent than the money spent.

This is partly because used avionics are almost worthless (because, once used, there are likely paperwork issues) but also because smarter buyers know that a plane is likely to contain a few worms, and that a lot of maintenance/repair work is shoddy, so they prefer to knock down the seller by the rectification cost of all the unknown/dodgy bits, and get them done themselves at an establishment of their choice and under their supervision.

smarthawke
2nd Jul 2009, 19:47
Lees Avionics at Wycombe Air Park have just fitted the British Airways Flying Club PA28-236 Dakota with a Garmin G600 and the 430 was upgraded to WAAS at the same time (needed to drive the G600).

Looks brilliant, not had a chance to fly it yet though. First customer installation in Europe IIRC. Just go for it - it's only money and good avionics should put some value on the aircraft and make it more saleable if the need be.