PDA

View Full Version : What Can I Take Into The Exam

tomtom_91
25th Jun 2009, 15:06
Hey All,

Starting PPL in a few months and have decided to start looking at the theory and teaching my self it...

What I was wondering is what can you take into the PPL (7)? exams?

EG: Calculator etc

Thanks

Tom

BEagle
25th Jun 2009, 16:08
You may not take in any notes, rough paper, mobile phone / PDA or programmable electronic calculator with navigation functions.

You will have to provide your own pens, navigation ruler, navigation protractor and navigation computer ('whizz-wheel').

Whether you may take a basic arithmetical function only electronic calculator into the exam room is somewhat ambiguous - the Standards Document doesn't specifically prohibit any calculators except for programmable electronic calculators containing 'Flight Calculation software' and it states that 'permitted calculating instruments, for example dividers, protractors and navigational computers' must be provided by the applicant.

We Examiners have complained about the ambiguity of Standards Document 11 and the draconian terms in which much of it is written. But nothing has changed for well over a year now........

tomtom_91
25th Jun 2009, 16:55
Thanks! So does it depend on the school if you are allowed a calculator "normall" one or not?

Tom

flybymike
25th Jun 2009, 17:03
Once they have qualified, no one in the real world will ever use a whizz wheel again if they have any sense. This is 2009 for goodness sake.

(Doubtless a sextant would be quite in order...)

Lister Noble
25th Jun 2009, 18:02
When you are laying off a sidewind,just think for a minute where the wind is from ,where it is pushing you and that you need to act against it to stay on track.
Early in my nav exercises I did a reciprocal bearing of what
I should have done,despite sailing and navigating a fair bit around northern Europe earlier in my life.
CFI picked it up but I couldn't believe I'd done that!
It pays to sit back,reflect and see if it actually makes sense.
Good luck
Lister:)

jollyrog
25th Jun 2009, 19:47
There's nothing wrong with a whizz wheel. I have two - one for each of my flying bags. I do use them, every now and then.

I prefer to do my winds on a spreadsheet that I've made, as it makes for a nicer plog, but when I don't have access to a computer, a whizz wheel is easy and good enough.

Keep the skill up, it's not a bad thing.

Maoraigh1
25th Jun 2009, 20:19
A scientific calculator, with trig functions, but not programable, would work. A pure arithmetic calculator would be useless. Just learn the formulae you need. I did that in 1987, to revalidate after 20+ years not flying..
In 1964, I had had no choice but to use the "whizzwheel" as electronic calculators did not exist.