PDA

View Full Version : Converting JAA to FAA PPL (and I've already used search ;) )

italianjon
24th Jun 2009, 13:14
Guys 'n' Gals,

Just a question, won't bore with details, but has anyone done this and what was the process?

Before I get flamed for not using search ;) I have and there is loads of info regarding "Piggy-backing" so you get the FAA Cert... but not much on actually getting the FAA PPL.

Cheers

IO540
24th Jun 2009, 13:23
The FAA accepts non-US training from anywhere in the world, so all of your old JAA training counts.

You will probably need to do some specific night flights, because the FAA PPL has night privileges as standard. Check the FAR/AIM.

Then

- FAA medical (can be easily done in the UK)

- FAA PPL written exam (Flight Safety at Farnborough)

- 3 hours min with an FAA CFI instructor within the last 60 days of the checkride

- the checkride itself

The last bit is a little tricky in Europe, and most people go to the USA for the last two items, having done the other stuff in the UK. Unfortunately, you do need TSA+Visa for the PPL, ME or IR.

italianjon
24th Jun 2009, 13:32
IO540... cheers for swift response. Agreed first two seem easy, think there is an FAA CFI at my airfield...

Might combine it with IR then... :)

englishal
24th Jun 2009, 14:27
If you have the time, I would. I'd also bung a Multi Engine rating on there too then you have done all the training which requires TSA approval (and possibly Visa depending on who you believe). If in the future you want to do the CPL then you can come back and do it with less bother. (or if you have > 250hrs you could go directly for the CPL?)

IO540
24th Jun 2009, 15:37
As this is likely in the context of working towards an FAA IR, I'd highly recommend doing the basic license while doing the IR. Some flights can IIRC be combined, which is always worth doing, and it is just much more efficient. Just one visa/tsa application, too.

As Al says, do the CPL rather than the PPL. If you are technically smart, the FAA CPL is quite natural to swat up for as most of it is aircraft-technical stuff, with very little garbage and IIRC zero big-jet stuff (there is a thing called ATP and Type Ratings for that ;) ).

Also, historically, "commercial pilots" have been better treated than private pilots, when any grandfathering is being haggled over.

And a CPL/IR enables you to work as a paid pilot for an aircraft owner (N-reg obviously in this case), worldwide, no AOC required.

The PPL ME IR require TSA and most of the others don't. The Visa is an old debate (not getting into the 18hrs/week bit and the conflicting guidance on the web) but nowadays TSA and Immigration are joined up so if you apply for TSA and not get a Visa, they may well pick you up for it. And US Immigration are mostly not nice people.

I've sent you an email.

dypen
10th May 2010, 21:58
Convert JAA PPL into FAA PPL | profpilot.co.uk articles (http://www.profpilot.co.uk/articles/general/licence-conversion/converting-a-jaa-ppl-to-an-faa-ppl/)

flybymike
10th May 2010, 23:50
Sad that we have to defend ourself from the "search police" before even the first post.

AdamFrisch
11th May 2010, 00:29
I'm doing just that myself at the moment and depending on where you fly in the US, it can take you a little bit longer to get familiar with US procedures and for a CFI to sign you off for your checkride.

I fly right smack in the middle of Los Angeles at KSMO, and it's probably one of the busiest airspaces in the world, so it's taken a little bit longer than anticipated. 3-4 hours for the night stuff and we're up to 7 hrs for brushup and familiarity. Think I have to refresh emergency procedures next time and after that we should be done. But it's been a blast mixing it up with the heavy iron and crossing LAX at 2500ft and landing at busy airports like Van Nuys etc.

Now, if you fly in the sticks away from big cities, then this can obviously be shortened a lot, but for me I prefer to learn and get familiar in a busy airspace, so I'm up to scratch.

The plan is to go straight into IR training after the checkride.

Sam Rutherford
12th May 2010, 12:18
If you want to end up CPL/IR - then (unusually) do the IR first. With that already done, the CPL is a doddle. It's not so 'efficient' in the opposite order.

Safe flights, Sam.