PDA

View Full Version : Mastricht

alistairP
24th Jun 2009, 07:24
Morning Gents, I have a meeting in Mastricht next week and i would like to do the trip under training, is this allowed? Question is, can i log this time as PUT? What would be the norm with regard to paying the FI?(Just for flying time or the whole day?) Has anyone recent experience of Mastricht re prices etc? OR are there more economic fields nearby?
I know the obvious thing would seem to be "ask the FI", but he barely has time to fill out my log book after a lesson!
Regards Alistair.

JW411
24th Jun 2009, 07:56
Are you sure you're not going to Maastricht?

VFR Transit
24th Jun 2009, 08:15
FI", but he barely has time to fill out my log book after a lessonAlistair

Why are you not filling out your own log book :hmm: :ugh:

On the basis of the flight, why not speak to the flying school and pick any instructor for the whole day to complete a cross channel checkout, that way the aircraft and instructor are booked all day.

VFR

Radar
24th Jun 2009, 16:32
Alistair,

There are certainly cheaper fields close by but, if your business is in the city itself, there are none more convienient. What are the specifics of the trip and I'll dig up the info for you? PM me if you wish.

Damian

Fuji Abound
25th Jun 2009, 07:48
Maastricht - I have been there quite a few times. Let me know if you need anything specific. Prices arent too bad if I recall.

So far as going with your instructor, I dont see an issue IF he has time and / or you are willing to pay for the hours involved.

The problem with trips like this is the instructor will inevitably spend quite some time drinking coffee while you attend to your business. In reality I guess you will both need to make a day of it.

Therefore you should probably expect to pay for the instructor for the day and the aircraft for at least the flying time but policies vary from club to club as to how many hours in a day they expect to hire out a training aircraft.

I am not sure how much value a trip such as this would have early on in your training. Later it woudl be very useful.

What the hell, if you have the money and your instructor the time it will make a good day out.

Mind you in the case of some instructors you might well find your instructors gets almost out of the trip as you - it may well be his first time outside the UK or certainly the UK and France. :)

B2N2
25th Jun 2009, 19:54
Pay the FI for his ground time, nothing more then fair.
Don't expect a FI to spend a whole day away with only 2 hrs revenue.
They need to make a living.

BackPacker
26th Jun 2009, 19:48
The problem with trips like this is the instructor will inevitably spend quite some time drinking coffee while you attend to your business.

Maastricht is one of the most beautiful cities in the Netherlands and if your instructor gets fed up with it anyway, it's only a short and leisurely walk (20-30 minutes from the city center) up the "Pietersberg" which is one of the highest hills in the Netherlands. (Yes, it's indeed a flat country.)

Oh, and your instructor should definitely order "vlaai" with his coffee. It's the local speciality. I like "kersenvlaai" (cherry) the best but there's also apricot, rice and a few other very nice flavors.

Another thing you need to consider is whether the training aircraft is equipped with Mode-S and an ELT. Both are mandatory with only very few exceptions in the Netherlands, but not in the UK. Most UK schools therefore have not done the investment. There's multiple threads on those topics on here.

er340790
27th Jun 2009, 17:52
Flew weekly ex-EHBK from 2000-2004. Prices are quite reasonable unless you're planning dozens of circuits, in which case nip up to Budel (EHBD) or down to Spa (EBSP) - but watch the Spa X-winds @ 20kts over the Ardennes on the calmest of days!

FBO was Air Service Limburg, now Air Service Maastricht, I believe. Very friendly lot with a gaggle of Cessnas and PA-28s, some on N-reg. Give my old Cherokee N-202AS a pat for me!

Downtown Maastricht v.v. well worth a visit. 15 mins by taxi.

One thing to watch is you're right next to the Belgian border / military zones and just a few kms from Deutschland, so the inattentive can cause all sorts of trouble in well under two minutes! If passing near AMS, watch for the Class A down to 1500AGL in places. Careful preparation pays as always.

Enjoy! :ok:

Radar
27th Jun 2009, 20:40
Give my old Cherokee N-202AS a pat for me!

Wilco!! (as soon as the FAA provide me with my licence.... or should that be license??) Completed my IR in 202AS and still waiting for the paperwork to be sorted.

Horst Schwul
27th Jun 2009, 21:40
Wilco!! (as soon as the FAA provide me with my licence.... or should that be license??) Completed my IR in 202AS and still waiting for the paperwork to be sorted.

Pedantic, I know, but the FAA actually issue certificates! :ok:

You know it.

Horst

Radar
29th Jun 2009, 11:20
Horst,
You're right ........ it is pedantic :ok:

And I'm still waiting ............ :hmm: