PDA

View Full Version : Channel Islands Zone Flightplanning Warning

The Crafty Monkey
23rd Jun 2009, 09:31
Jersey are now insisting on a minimum filing time of 1hr before EBOT for all VFR plans - this includes departures out of both Guernsey & Alderney. I suggest that after filing you then phone Jersey ATC Tel: +44(0)1534 446080 to confirm that they have your plan. Always call for start & check ATC have your plan. No plan = no flying!!!!

goatface
23rd Jun 2009, 19:38
UK AIP (9 Apr 09) ENR 1-10-1

1.6 Submission Time Parameters
1.6.1 The general ICAO requirement is that FPLs should be filed on the ground at least 60 minutes before clearance to start-up or
taxi is requested. The ‘Estimated Off Block Time’ (EOBT) is used as the planned departure time in flight planning, not the planned
airborne time. Exceptionally, in cases where it is impossible to meet this requirement, pilots or Aircraft Operators (AOs) should give as
much notice as possible, but never less than 30 minutes.

This includes Jersey and always has, so what's changed?

The Crafty Monkey
24th Jun 2009, 06:56
I am familiar with the rules - however there was a time when Jersey had a flexible approach. This is not now the case, hence the warning.

welkyboy
24th Jun 2009, 07:38
This "rule" only applies to paper flight plans filed by fax, if you use Afpex there is no delay at all, the FPL will be in the "system" as soon as you send it.(correctly addressed)
The Jersey Aero Club where most pilots file their plans have Afpex online permanently and ATC encourages all pilots to use this system as faxed paper flight plans will be withdrawn at Jersey during the next year.(or so!!)

S-Works
24th Jun 2009, 07:52
I am familiar with the rules - however there was a time when Jersey had a flexible approach. This is not now the case, hence the warning.

So let me get a better grasp of this...... You felt it important to tell the world with a thumbs down post that Jersey Zone may have become 'less helpful' than they were in past and are actually only enforcing what has actually been the rule for as long as I can remember with only half the facts?

Personally as a regular visitor I find the support and help of all involved from the Jersey and Guernsey Aeroclubs, Air Traffic and just about everyone else I come across as the most friendly and helpful of any I have come across in the world.

Let's cut them a little slack eh!

GBALU53
24th Jun 2009, 21:43
I have been flying into and out of the Channel islands for a number of decades doing a lot of flight plans, the ATC staff have been very helpful, providing you give resonable notice for a paper flight plan as Welkyboy stated it is not a problem.

The CAP publication on flight planning states an hour, well half an hour should be enough time.

With this new system called AFPEX that the National Traffic Control Services are trying to bring in, the system has a number of problems and some of the NATS people have stated the system has been brought in to early, it has been stated they might have to go back to basics again to give the computer experts time to work on AFPEX to get it correct.

On a VFR flight plan you can still put in poordetails which gets excepted.

An IFR plan going to IFPS has to be perfect ,so why was AFPEX brought in to early???. the French have had Minitel and Olivia up and running for a number of years.

Should NATS have taken a leaf out of there book to get the AFPEX system more user friendly and accurate???