PDA

View Full Version : Airfields southwest of scotland

Iflyplainplanes
19th Jun 2009, 22:04
anybody have any details about the airfields Turnberry or Kilkerran? thinking about heading up there i heard the landing fee at prestwick was £35

NorthSouth
20th Jun 2009, 13:58
Turnberry not usable. Kilkerran may be. Prestwick landing fee is not £35 if you go through Prestwick Flight Centre 01292 476523

NS

DB6
20th Jun 2009, 17:01
Turnberry long disused, easy to find though as there's a big VOR nearby. Have you looked at Strathaven?

lurker06
20th Jun 2009, 17:45
There are some pictures of Kilkerran at:-

Taxiway Alpha > Kilkerran Pics (http://www.taxiwayalpha.com/forums/lofiversion/index.php/t4627.html)

You could look for the owners' details in the CAA G-INFO database and write to one of them for information about PPR.

As NS says, Prestwick Flight Centre is the contact for a manageable landing fee - about £20 I seem to recall.

Lurker

Captain Smithy
20th Jun 2009, 18:32
What about Castle Kennedy? Might be a bit out of the way if you're wanting to be in the Kilmarnock area though.

Smithy

jaycee46
22nd Jun 2009, 08:35
As members of the Prestwick Flight Centre, we pay £12.50 for a landing, and I do not think the Kiwi owners give us any advantage on this front, so as far as I am aware, (check when you PPR) that is what visitors pay too, for a PA28, AA5, C152 C172 etc. More for a heavier a/c, twins. Fuel, T & Coffee, maintenance on site, and, in general, a friendly and helpful ATC service, and a warm welcome always available!:)

Always PPR on the number above, or 01292479991. It is important to do this, as ATC may send you to Greer Aviation if you don't, and that will cost you a lot more!

Kilkerran is a good grass strip, when the weather is dry, but it is really in the middle of nowhere, and onward transport could be a bit of a challenge!

FTAOD, I am a member of the club, but have no involvement with it's management.

Genghis the Engineer
22nd Jun 2009, 09:25
I've visited Prestwick a few times and from memory generally pay somewhere around £10-£15 landing fee (I can't be all that precise). Prestwick flight centre are very helpful, although I've also recently had the pleasure of flying with Prestwick Flying Club (many thanks India-Mike, it was a great trip!), and they were also a pleasure to fly with.

I'd not worry - if you want to use Prestwick, use Prestwick.

G

OceanSkyPrestwick
12th Oct 2009, 12:11
Prestwick flight centre offers special landing rates to aircraft flying in for the purpose of maintenance or aircraft visiting from other clubs across the UK.

For any other flights you must select one of the ground handling agents - Ocean Sky, Greer Aviation or Prestwick handling.

Ocean Sky regularly looks after such traffic and charges a total of £40 for any aircraft up to 2 tonnes, this includes a handling fee, landing and navigation charges. Ocean Sky also provides Avgas 100LL or Jet A1, with rates available on request.

fisbangwollop
12th Oct 2009, 19:39
Book in via Prestwick Flight centre and get a good discount....a great club to and they will look after you well!!! :cool::cool: