PDA

View Full Version : pre-entry flight test

redout
17th Jun 2009, 22:05
Hi,

I am considering a flight instructor rating.

Is the above test basically a PPL exam more or less.

What is it your looking for and big no, no's.

Could someone please explain.

toolowtoofast
17th Jun 2009, 22:21
*edit* - misread - thought you were talking about the actual flight test

It's a great challenge, but not much fun if you don't really want to do it.

redbar1
17th Jun 2009, 22:43
Redout,

As the requirement states:

(f) passed a specific pre-entry flight test with an FI qualified as in JAR–FCL 1.330(f) based upon the proficiency check as set out in Appendix 3 to JAR–FCL 1.240 within the six months preceding the start of the course. The flight test will assess the ability of the applicant to undertake the course.

The main issue is the last sentence!

Do study all material you can get your hands on before, BUT do not pretend to be superman. As a new FI you will be working under supervision, so show your abilities to seek and assimilate qualified guidance.

Work as an FI can be either : (1)very rewarding, (2)just a job, or (3)horrible. It all boils down to your own personality. Best of luck on deciding to go on or not!

Cheers,
Redbar1

redout
18th Jun 2009, 06:44
As regards Appendix 3 to JAR–FCL 1.240 I am trying to find out if the limitations as regarding airspeed, heading etc are to PPL standards or above. I enquire as it states in Lasors only necessary to hold the for license which you intend to instruct for ie: PPL

http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/7350/46501888.jpg

pipertommy
18th Jun 2009, 07:53
Pre entry test is just to check you can fly. As far as can remember I did an abort take off then normal take off. Turns 30 and 45 degrees, climbs vy-vx, stalls, PLF followed with EFATO, back for circuits.

In general a relaxed flight:)

Whopity
18th Jun 2009, 20:06
The pre-entry flight test is based upon the PPL Skill test, but servers to see how you fly and what additional capacity you have to talk and teach at the same time.

It gives the FICI an indication of the task ahead. Personally, I am interested in circuits and PFLs.

DFC
19th Jun 2009, 08:54
based upon the proficiency check as set out in Appendix 3 to JAR–FCL 1.240

Please read the above Appendix.

It lays out the items that are tested on a proficiency check for a class rating (in this case SEP). Certain items are mandatory and are marked by an "M" so you can expect to have to do these.

Overall, the flight is no different from the proficiency check that you would have to complete if you did not do enough flying and your SEP was about to expire.

Do not put any weight on the Skill test tolerances. They are simply guidelines. It is possible to fly within the tolerances and fail the test and also to fly outside the tolerances but pass. Any pilot going forward for the PPL skill test would normally be able to maintain height when straight and level +/- 100ft and more often +/- 50ft.

AS many have said, the test simply permits an assessment of your abilities to be made before you lay down a large amount of money on the course.

I think that if at the end of the flight the FI said "you need to spend some more time practicing the PFL and the circuit" you would be far more happy than having to pay for extra training on the FI course because your basic flying is holding you back.

Honestly, the "test" can save you a lot of money.

Regards,

DFC