PDA

View Full Version : 737 Classic without ASI installed

belowMDA
16th Jun 2009, 10:16
Does anyone out there operate 737 classics that have either had their ASIs removed or were delivered without them as an option. Obviously this only would apply to EFIS speed tape equipped models. Just interested if there are many out there and also who operates them.

cheers.

Navigator33
16th Jun 2009, 10:17
KLM does/did

RAT 5
17th Jun 2009, 20:43
I did fly such on B767. same EFIS system. There is always the SBY ASI in case.......

HAWK21M
18th Jun 2009, 14:13
Not out here.
Its still the ASIs on both sides with the stby ASI.
regds
MEL.

Fresca
19th Jun 2009, 02:03
I used to fly 737's without ASI, only speed tape.
Took me 5 min to get used to it, and I can never say I missed the ASI.
The planes I fly now have both and I only use the speed tape, I just use the ASI as a x-reference. There is so much more info on the speedtape.

RAT 5
21st Jun 2009, 20:36
When I flew a/c with both speed tape & ASI I always looked at ASI. No-one explained how to use the speed tape. Then I flew a speed tape only a/c and the chief trainer took the time to explain thoroughly the speed tape and all the data there-in. What a relevation, and I never looked at an ASI again. I now fly speed tape only and do not miss an ASI at all. The secret was a good proper trainer taking the time to do his job and help his colleagues. Vital.

A37575
23rd Jun 2009, 13:12
There is so much more info on the speedtape

Some people like ASI's because they are simple to read while others love the goodies associated with a speed tape. There is a wealth of information on the speed tape. But as a competent pilot do you really need to be flooded with all that info? Nothing wrong with an ASI - thousands of pilots have used them since WW1. At least an ASI needle doesn't bounce around in slight turbulence like a speed tape.