PDA

View Full Version : JAR-PPL study sequence

Jofm5
16th Jun 2009, 08:38
Apologies if this has been answered previously, I have searched but have not found anything near what I am asking so far. I have posted here rather than private flying as I wish to target my questions more towards the instructors than the PPL population although I dont object it being moved if mods deem appropriate.

I am just starting to commence upon the path towards gaining a PPL (SEP). My personal preferred method is not to do it bit part over 2-3 hours a month but go for an intensive course - thus I am looking at doing 3-4 weeks in January 2010 at one of the schools in florida (January fitting well with my work schedule and with the weather in my understanding).

I dont think the best thing to do is to study beforehand and leave the exams to be sat in that 3/4 week period - what I am thinking is better is to study beforehand and do some if not all of the exams beforehand so that when I start on the practical componenet I will be able to concentrate on the aviation without the stress of the ground school.

My question is which is the correct/optimal order to do the exams within, for example I understand to sit the RT practical you plot a route from A-B via waypoints etc and perform the "RT" along the route along with practice emergencies - for this do you need to have had the navigation element completed beforehand ?.

My question is more of which exams are dependent or beneficial in completing in a particular sequence. I am less concerned in getting them right from a pass mark point of view but more from having the full picture/understanding at the end of it.

I am planning to self study up until I get to go out and fly (or try to :}), I have vistited a few local airfields (not to the point of speaking to anyone as they have been shut at the time) but if I get to the stage of feeling prepared to sit an exam can I just call one and book it or will I be required to go through some ground school element (I guess what I am asking is whether it would be more economical to just study and do the exams when I get to the states or can I just book and take the exams locally). If you think certain modules would benefit from some element of ground school feel free to recommend so.

Preperation wise I have obtained a copy of CAP-413 which I am reading through at the moment, and will soon have the AFE PPL training kit series of books etc and a VXA-300 transceiver. My plan is to work through all of these and use the radio to listen in on local airfields to familiarise with RT (Yes I am going to ensure that tx is never used and is protected accordingly).

With so far as the meterology portion of the exam I understand the MET office does a course over a couple of days geared towards aviators (Met Office: Training for aviators (http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/aviation/training/index.html)) - is this something worth doing at this early stage or is it something too advanced for the time being ?.

If you could recommend a sequence of learning for the exams, whether to take the exams before, during (or indeed both) and any extra purchases that may help me in my endeavours that would be much appreciated.

I understand I have asked alot above, any pointers will be much appreciated.

Regards,

Jof

darn
16th Jun 2009, 15:27
Well at least your obviously prepared to put the work in, wish every student was as willing!

Most clubs will advise that you do the Air Law exam first, as you often need that done before you can go solo. Also its the most tedious to study for, so best to get it out of the way.

Some clubs also require Human Factors to be done before first solo too.

Its arguably best to leave the Nav exam until after you've done a few nav routes for real, then your instructor will (hopefully!) have shown you how to fill in a plog, navigation techniques etc so the exam should be easier.

I'd also recommend doing Aircraft General early on too as you'll learn so much thats relevant to you at this stage.

Other than that, the exam order is down to you. As you say in an ideal world you'd get them all done before you start the flying, having said that you will learn so much on the PPL course which will help you in the exams. There's only so much you can learn from textbooks!

darn
16th Jun 2009, 15:30
Oh and the RT practical is nearly always sat right at the end of the course. This way you've had the maximum amount of time to get accustomed to the RT and learn the phraseology from real experiance.

Jofm5
16th Jun 2009, 19:41
Darn,

Thanks for the replies it makes sense with the Nav and the RT to leave till I have done some of the flying.

I will take your advice and look to completing Air Law, Human Factors and Aircraft General Initially and see where to go from there.

I also notice when reading CAP-413 it has portions specific to IFR, although I am still reading these sections would I be correct in thinking that the RT Exam for a VFR rating would not examine me on these or is the RT exam for all aviation and thus I need to pay attention to IFR rules also.

Cheers

madgav
18th Jun 2009, 07:44
Despite the RT licence permitting the holder to operate the radio in any aircraft, the exams contain VFR calls only.
I started a thread on this a couple of months ago as the practical exam was looming for me:

http://www.pprune.org/private-flying/365605-rt-practical-exam.html

Hope this helps
Gav.
www.madgav.org (http://www.madgav.org)
www.gmcc0266.plus.com/ppl.htm (http://www.gmcc0266.plus.com/ppl.htm)

Jofm5
19th Jun 2009, 05:13
Thanks Gav, will read it through.