PDA

View Full Version : Where can I get an FAA IFR rating in the UK

alistair.baker
14th Jun 2009, 22:12
I have an FAA VFR license and less than the 100hours flight required to convert it automatically to a JAA license.
I understand I cannot take a JAA IRF rating on top of my FAA license.
Is there a flight school not too far from London than would allow me to take my FAA IFR rating?

Duchess_Driver
14th Jun 2009, 23:03
Speak to TAA (http://www.taauk.net) at Denham

or try

Willowair at Southend.

Morgo
15th Jun 2009, 05:50
As mentioned above, TAA (Home | general (http://www.taauk.net)) provide FAA training in Cirrus aircraft. Very good they are too.

Also, my group has two FAA IR instructors: www.cirrus147.com You would need to become a member of the group before availing of their services though.

IO540
15th Jun 2009, 06:48
Any FAA CFII instructor, or indeed any ICAO instructor with an IR, can train towards the FAA IR, anywhere in the world, in any registration aircraft.

So, training has never been an issue. You can fly around Europe, airways, with one of these in the RHS, and get the required training as well as great practical experience.

One (practically) needs an FAA CFII for the last few hours within 60 days of the checkride, and this instructor will sign you off as ready for the checkride.

There are loads of freelance FAA CFIIs around. This isn't like the JAA IR system where the training has to be done via a professional school (for no good reason).

The hard bit is getting the checkride. The situation on this has been extremely variable, to say the least.

scooter boy
15th Jun 2009, 08:20
"The hard bit is getting the checkride. The situation on this has been extremely variable, to say the least."

Care to elaborate IO540?:D

S-Works
15th Jun 2009, 08:38
Any FAA CFII instructor, or indeed any ICAO instructor with an IR, can train towards the FAA IR, anywhere in the world, in any registration aircraft.

Nothing like missing out a few facts there.... Like if the CFII is not dual qualified they cannot work for hire and reward for a start. I am sure there are a few kind hearted instructors out there but not many that will teach an entire IR for free.

If you are being taught in the UK in any foreign aircraft then DofT permission is required.

Then there is the TSA requirements, the fingerprints etc. which are still needed even when training outside of the US.

Then we get onto the exorbitant fees being charged by some DPE's for their services. €400 for an LPR and upwards of €1300 for an IR check ride. Puts the UK CAA scheme of charges to shames.

If you are desperate to do an IR through the FAA route go to the USA and do it in one hit.

If you are determined to do an IR in Europe then do the JAA IR. It is not difficult and will actually work out at the same cost if doing it in Europe and with cheaper flight test fees!

IO540
15th Jun 2009, 08:59
The instructor needs to be JAA FI rated only if he is getting paid for it and the training portion of the flight is within UK airspace.

The DfT permission is free to [part]-owners. I've got it many times.

TSA only applies to instruction by FAA instructors towards a specific FAA license/rating and only some (e.g. the CPL/CFI/CFII is exempt but the PPL/IR/ME aren't). "General experience" flights are not affected. A flight with a JAA instructor can be later used towards anything-FAA whatsoever - just because it just happens to count towards the FAA IR is just handy ;) and obviously TSA cannot apply there.

Most people are going to the USA for the FAA stuff, not due to training issues but due to the checkride issues over the years. It's a complex picture; e.g. if you want training and checkride in your own plane then you will have to do it here, but if you just rent spamcans then you can do it anywhere. But if you just rent spamcans why do the FAA IR? It makes sense only for owner pilots who go places.

S-Works
15th Jun 2009, 10:00
The instructor needs to be JAA FI rated only if he is getting paid for it and the training portion of the flight is within UK airspace.

On what registration aircraft are we talking here? On an N reg not an issue.

On any European reg then it is.

If they are being paid then they must hold a CPL and an Instructor rating anywhere in JAA land regardless of what back door loopholes you come up with about counting the time towards and FAA IR.

He has asked how to get an FAA IR. To do an IR course he has to enrol with an approved school/instructor and get TSA approval at some stage in that process.

It is no wonder FAA training gets such a bad rap when people like you are always advising others on how to find a curve on a 100 mile straight road. :ugh::ugh:

IO540
15th Jun 2009, 10:15
References?

S-Works
15th Jun 2009, 10:30
Don't play that game with me Peter. You know full well that an FAA CFII giving Instruction in a European aircraft requires an Instructor qualification equivalent to the level he is teaching for from the European authority. If he is accepting remuneration for the role he also requires a JAA CPL.

Section 4 of the ANO is where you should start looking if you are that desperate for a 'reference'.

What goes on in an N Reg aircraft is a different matter and is covered by FAA regulations. However the TSA comments stand regardless of the fact that training is being done outside the USA.

IO540
15th Jun 2009, 11:22
What goes on in an N Reg aircraft is a different matterNo it isn't. JAA FI is a UK airspace requirement regardless of the airframe reg, for remunerated instruction and, of very recently, I am reliably informed, this applies to FAA checkrides too.

But the ANO is UK only.

Overseas regs differ and if you post on that you need to post references to the local "ANO". Quite simple really.

S-Works
15th Jun 2009, 11:36
So you gave gone from arguing against me to agreeing with me........... ;)

SergeD
15th Jun 2009, 12:05
Le Touquet is where FAA checkrides ha ve been done from this year. That way, no need to have the european ratings and still can get paid okay :)

S-Works
15th Jun 2009, 12:07
Then why is a certain DPE having to do a JAA CPL?

aztruck
15th Jun 2009, 16:45
Is there a certain(or uncertain) Dpe who can get this wretched english . Oh...and my licences are all original US issuances, not reliant on UK licencing.
Feel free to pm me........

aztruck
15th Jun 2009, 16:47
sorry..the missing word was proficiency! Thats a worry.

S-Works
15th Jun 2009, 17:09
Aztruck. If you have US issued licences not 61.75 based on your JAA/CAA licences then you can do like the rest of us are able and go online to order your new cards with LPR. I seem to recall it is $1. No requirement to see a DPE.

Utfart
15th Jun 2009, 17:48
Don't forget that you only need a minimum of 15 hours dual instruction for an FAA IR. The rest of the instrument time can be on simulators (look up the limits in FARs) and with a safety pilot. The instrument hours with a safety pilot only need be with a current PPL holder of any ICAO license in any aircraft with no TSA clearance. Everything is in plain english in FAR/AIM. Don't forget the local rules of wherever you fly though! (i.e. thank god the UK ANO is only in the U.K. :))

Bose-X, I have heard from many sources that the JAA IR is not terribly difficult, and I believe that. However, many of us are not willing to fulfill the ground school requirements. Maybe that part's even more managable than ever before in the U.K., but where I live there are no distance learning courses available. The issue for me and many others is time. Pilots are above average people, and the subject matter is not exactly rocket science. The spare time I had during one month on the road running my multi-national business, and a set of King DVDs, was enough to get 93% on the FAA written. The written was done on a drop in basis at a computer testing center in the US northwest. If it can be so simple, why isn't it?

Alistair, you're going to need 50 hours cross country PIC to get an FAA IR, maybe you'll have the 100 hours to do a JAA conversion by then anyway. If you need an IR to fly the way you want, the most important things is to go and get it. Don't delay!

IO540
15th Jun 2009, 19:11
The JAA v FAA IR debate again....

EASA is not going to do anything for a few years, and by then the whole process might collapse anyway, amid top-level protests and huge controversy.

If you want to fly IFR now, and can go to the USA to do the whole lot, do that. You will have an IR for a fraction of what it costs to fly 50/55hrs via a "professional" FTO here, especially if doing ME at eye watering piston twin rates over here.

Buy an N-reg plane but make sure it is EASA compliant right now (if buying new get this in writing so you can sue the dealer later ;) ).

The worst case scenario is that you have to do the JAA IR one day but the min dual time will be just 15hrs which is a massive cost saving over 50/55hrs.

The 7 JAA IR exams are not avoidable but an ICAO IR means you don't have mandatory school attendance (ref LASORS).

One has to live for NOW and not spend years wondering the options and being scared of regulators. There is always a cloud on the horizon in this business.

Care to elaborate IO540?

No wish to get another filthy xmas present like the last one ;)