PDA

View Full Version : Light Aircraft crash in County Down

ACARS
12th Jun 2009, 22:11
Sky news are reporting a light aircraft crash in County Down Northern Ireland. Police are stating 3 dead.

Mike.Park
12th Jun 2009, 22:13
You beat me to it.

BBC news are saying:

It is understood that police received a report that the plane had crashed in a field in the Belmont Road area at about 2100 BST.

Police did not say how many people had died in the crash. The emergency services are at the scene.

Local people have said that the weather at the time was misty.

G-CPTN
12th Jun 2009, 22:14
A light aircraft has crashed with loss of life near Kilkeel in County Down, the police have said.
More at:- BBC NEWS | Special Reports | Field aircraft crash claims lives (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/8098346.stm)

Commanche 260
12th Jun 2009, 22:32
Please pray for them. I know the pilot personally and two pilots at my local airfield seen it happen.

mini
12th Jun 2009, 23:26
RIP to those taken by this accident. Always sad.

Weather reported to be poor (mist), its a hilly area too if memory serves me correctly.

What were they flying?

gfry
13th Jun 2009, 00:49
A good friend of mine and a good pilot!!! I was only talking with him before he departed for this flight today. As for the mist dont read the hype. He was more than capable of dealing with a bit of mist.I am totaly stunned at this. It really hits home when it is someone you know. I am really sorry Hugh, and feel for his flying companion who always flys in formation with him.Gary and Hugh (IoM) are thinking of you both.

sammypilot
13th Jun 2009, 07:30
A comprehensive report can be found on the Belfast Telegraph website.

cats_five
13th Jun 2009, 07:36
Three men die in light plane crash - Local & National, News - Belfasttelegraph.co.uk (http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/three-men-die-in-light-plane-crash-14337459.html)

Pace
13th Jun 2009, 10:03
Very sad ! In all these fatal crashes we want the pilot to be an accident waiting to happen and the aircraft an accident waiting to happen too.

When its a good pilot in a good aircraft it is too close to home and highlights our own vulnerability.

Very sad

Pace

G-CPTN
13th Jun 2009, 11:54
BBC NEWS | UK | Northern Ireland | Inquiry follows fatal plane crash (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/8098544.stm)

Phil Space
13th Jun 2009, 15:44
At the risk of upsetting others here, decent pilots do not get in to these situations.
The fact that the pilot had a good reputation will be little comfort for the families of the passengers.

Read this:

Investigation into fatal Co Down plane crash
Saturday, 13 June 2009 13:23

An investigation is under way into the cause of a plane crash that killed three people in Co Down yesterday.

The 53-year-old pilot has been named as Hugh McKnight.

The two 24-year-old passengers who were also killed in the crash have been named locally as Andrew Burden and Steven Annett. All three are from the Annalong area.
Advertisement

It is understood that the men had been returning from the Senior-TT race in the Isle of Man.

The plane was attempting to land on a private air strip near the harbour town of Kilkeel when it crashed and burst into flames.

The wreckage of the Jodel 4 seater plane is lying just short of the runway.

Local people say that at the time of the crash, 9pm last night, fog had closed in on the area and visibility was poor.http://dynimg.rte.ie/00025da510dr.jpg

Mister Gash
13th Jun 2009, 16:30
Anyone have an info on the aircraft? Reg etc?

Phil Space
13th Jun 2009, 17:15
G-ATGE JODEL DR1050 Year Built: 1960

Owner:
HUGH ALEXANDER MCKNIGHT

[Address details removed - mods]

http://www.airport-data.com/images/aircrafts/small/272/272501.jpg

Desspot
13th Jun 2009, 19:36
Gents,

I know this information is freely available elsewhere online (CAA etc), but if that had been me today I would not want my home address published.

Also, lets not make comments about what makes a 'decent pilot' (or not) when the facts are not in. Cheers.

Des

Cusco
13th Jun 2009, 21:59
Mods: Please delete Phil Space's post#13 above.

Cusco

gfry
14th Jun 2009, 06:09
Mist had nothing to do with it. Hugh had engine problems that resulted in slow flight. during a turn 500 yards from th strip he stalled and span in.

Everyone really should learn not to focus reports of mist. I took of from Andreas the same time as Hugh and headed to Newtonards. The vis was greater than 50k and cloud base was 2100. There was a slight bit of mist but nothing to write about.

Pace
14th Jun 2009, 08:33
Local people say that at the time of the crash, 9pm last night, fog had closed in on the area and visibility was poor.

Phil

On its own that doesnt mean a lot.

Naturally an experienced pilot who knows his local area is going to safely make approaches in conditions considered poor by lesser experienced pilots.

Did the aircraft collide with terrain in controlled flight? Did it stall in poor vis?
You cannot make presumptions on innacurate weather reports made by local people. All they do is indicate that the weather may not have been CAVOK

Pace

PompeyPaul
14th Jun 2009, 08:39
At the risk of upsetting others here, decent pilots do not get in to these situations.
I disagree, people who don't fly don't get into these situations. Have you really never
1. Had a flight go bad
2. Been caught out by the weather
3. etc etc

If you haven't, then it's only a matter of time until you do.

Sensible
14th Jun 2009, 08:42
Continental 0-200 engine, temperature and dewpoint close together (it was misty) rough running engine, I won't state the obvious!

Don't you all just hate it when the long distance cause of accident speculators start posting? :ouch:

And re: Pompey Pauls post - yes, I have been caught out by the weather too. I consider myself a careful pilot. I don't know what the temperature and dewpoint was forecast at the pilot's destination airport if one was not available for his destination airport or even if the forecast at an airport close to the destination was different or even if the pilot obtained a weather forecast. It is easy to be wise sitting in front of a computer but a different matter when something startsto go wrong in the air and fog starts building - yes, divert! - but, the pilot has to make a decision to either land or divert to another airport where the conditions could be developing into something even worse. Fog can develop very very quickly!

dont overfil
14th Jun 2009, 11:02
Mist patches is one of the few times the weather looks better from the air than it does on the ground.
DO.

BoeingMEL
14th Jun 2009, 16:01
...could well have been shallow fog/mist... ground visible from above... then (slant range) everything goes very grey. Some folks claim there's no such thing as luck... but a forced landing in fog/mist is always going to be extremely hazardous unless Lady Luck is sitting in the RHS... RIP gents. bm.

camlobe
14th Jun 2009, 17:38
A terible tragedy at a beautiful place.

Condolences to all affected.

camlobe

hhobbit
14th Jun 2009, 18:28
Re JODEL DR1050 Ambassadeur: Do I guess correctly this a/c has its fuel in the same place as the smaller Jodels? (right behind the firewall) jodel.com doeas not throw light on this AFAIK

jonkil
14th Jun 2009, 19:36
An airstrip that I have visited many many times and have met Hugh on various occasions. A terrible day for all concerned, RIP.
Please let all speculation end here, its nor the time or the place.

Jon

slowlythesnail
14th Jun 2009, 19:52
Jon

I didn't know Hugh nor his family but I fly around that area, my friend know him and hold him in the highest regard. Please let them know we are all thinking of him and the passengers on board.

Thanks again

jules

Phil Space
15th Jun 2009, 12:10
Continental 0-200 engine, temperature and dewpoint close together (it was misty) rough running engine, I won't state the obvious!

Don't you all just hate it when the long distance cause of accident speculators start posting?

You certainly do:ok:
As I operate out of a private strip at Northiam in East Sussex which is affected by similar local weather conditions perhaps you may want to eat your words Sensible?:rolleyes: ( I admit I also live in SE Asia)

It is possible to get a narrow band of mist which obstructs forward vis. It is also possible to get carb ice. Sadly unless you are wise to this situation it can bite.
The pilot in question could have landed at his strip hundreds of times without experiencing this scenario. His plan to arrive late back at his airfield plus the
public record that he diverted were components in the tragedy.

His passengers had no say in the flight planning.They believed in him. He may have been a great pilot but sadly he took two young people who were not part of the flying community to their grave.

On a final note this is a news and rumours website. If or when I plough in to wherever I do not want the sympathy merchants to come out with the hankies:ugh: