PDA

View Full Version : Should I go in for it or not?

gc2750
12th Jun 2009, 20:59
I am a 90 hour(!) PPL student with all of my ground exams passed, RT exam done, qualifying cross-country all done and have a booking for my skills test on Sunday. I have just finished a mock skills test (Nav Leg went very well as did the diversion and everything else) except the PFLs. Am confident on everything except them. I have had about 6 or 7 lessons on PFLs and managed to do a couple OK 2 lessons ago by and large they have been awful. I end up too high, too fast or a combination of the two. My instructor thinks I may just be able to pull it off on the day and is putting me through on that basis.

Budget-wise I have 800 quid left which should cover the skills test. Am unable to spend any more than that after I had to treble my original budget to get the PPL and failure will mean an enforced break from flying while I consolidate debts.

Worth giving it a go or should I cancel the test and save up until I can confidently sat I am going to pass? I am confident on everything else, except PFLs.

jxc
12th Jun 2009, 21:18
Go for it

Just bear in mind that when you are doing your PFL if you think you are to high and not going to make then see if there is another field to the side or just passed where you aimed for and tell the examiner you are changing to plan B just keep him or her informed they want to see you acting as commander

Good luck and relax during it all

Fly-by-Wife
12th Jun 2009, 22:12
Have you practiced sideslipping and / or steep turns as methods of losing height (without increasing airspeed)?

I practiced this with an instructor before doing the skills test (yes, PFLs were my bete-noire too!) and it helped a lot.

Very useful to have in your armoury to manage height and speed, not just for PFLs.

Both are fine in PA28 Warrior, but you would need to check that the aircraft you are flying is certified to do slips, with / without flaps set. Your instructor should advise.

FBW

englishal
13th Jun 2009, 14:53
Just bear in mind that when you are doing your PFL if you think you are to high and not going to make then see if there is another field to the side or just passed where you aimed for and tell the examiner you are changing to plan B just keep him or her informed they want to see you acting as commander
He failed me for that. Said I should have chosen the right spot and then stuck to it.

batninth
13th Jun 2009, 17:27
I have just finished a mock skills test (Nav Leg went very well as did the diversion and everything else) except the PFLs.I'll throw my cap into the ring as another who had the same experience with PFLs. Did my practice skills test twice, first time in really rough weather & had two goes but completely messed up both. Then had weather dalays so had to do a second practice 7 weeks later in lovely smooth air but still made a mess of the PFL so went back later in the day solo & practiced several

Englishal
He failed me for that. Said I should have chosen the right spot and then stuck to it. Hmmm, I was told the opposite. On my first practice skills test I was with a instructor who had come through his licence etc as a student at the same club. I gave a commentary through the whole flight, and when I did the first of the two PFLs I had chosen a field & said something to the effect that having seen a better one I would actually stick with my original choice as I had already decided. At the debrief it was made very clear that if I did that in the test I would be marked down as I could see a safer landing place but stupidly decided against it.

In the actual test I did change my mind on fields, I talked through my thinking as I was selecting, set up for one and in the turn saw a much more suitable site so switched to it.

gc2750
13th Jun 2009, 19:00
I had a final lesson today and did two reasonable PFLs so I have decided to go in for it. I will be a happy man when I am on 'final' for the chosen field and putting the flaps in. Fingers crossed!

Pilot DAR
14th Jun 2009, 10:32
Englishal

Quote:
He failed me for that. Said I should have chosen the right spot and then stuck to it.
Hmmm, I was told the opposite.

I would not disagree with either statement, though I prefer to make the right plan first, and stick to it, rather than (changing horses mid stream).

That said, there's no harm in asking an examiner prior to the flight, what they would like to see in respect of decision making, and how they assess changing a plan, when new information becomes apparent, which puts the original decision in question.

I had a [perhaps] similar experience during a flight test (after such a discussion prior to takeoff). During my poorly executed manuever, I recognized changed conditons (wind direction) which neither of us had realized. I pointed this out, and said I'd rather break it off, and set up again. He agreed with my observation, but said to continue. My demonstration was poor, but successful. I asked to demonstrate the manuever again to make a better job of it, but he told me that had been good enough - shame, I wanted to do it again! He gave me undeservidly high marks.

You cannot be critisized for an open discussion with the examiner prior to the flight, as to what the examiner would like to see in certain resects, and how decision making is graded during a flight test. In a way, such a discussion constitutes both a pilot briefing, and crew resource management, both of which are very good things to live by, and demonstrate while flying.

Pilot DAR

coldair
14th Jun 2009, 12:25
Hiya,

I strongly recommend getting a copy of "make better landings" .
Available on Amazon and eBay. This is an excellent book and will give you no end of advice on landing - engine failure techniques.

I sailed through my practice PFL test and the advice in the book was invaluable.

Good luck, hope it all goes well for you.

gc2750
14th Jun 2009, 17:07
I passed the skills test!!!

Navigation, diversion and the upper airwork sections all went very well. For my PFL I did the checks well and would have made the field but my choice of field was not great and the examiner pointed out a lovely disused airfield if I had looked for it. He thought the PFL was OK for a pass at PPL level (he said it would not have been a pass on the CPL skills test.) but advised that I practice this to get it to a higher standard, which I definitely intend to do.

I'll have a look for that book you suggested.

ChrisVJ
15th Jun 2009, 04:43
Congratulations and welcome to the club.