PDA

View Full Version : Can any flight be logged as PUT?

vancouv
11th Jun 2009, 16:02
This may sound like a strange question, but I seem to recall from the dim and distant past something about flights that start and end at the same airport and don't go more than 50 miles or so being different from flights that land away.

Anyway, the reason for my question is that I have a lapsed PPL due to health and for various reasons may not bother to renew it. But I would quite like to hire a plane and instructor from time to time and go off flying somewhere - so I would be in the LH seat flying and logging it as PUT.

Can I do any flight like this, including going foreign, or are there restrictions if you are not strictly speaking 'under training' but just doing it for fun?

IO540
11th Jun 2009, 16:10
In the UK / G-reg regime, any flight with a proper instructor can be logged by the LHS as PU/T, even if the LHS is capable of being legally PIC.

You can take your instructor to Mongolia and log the whole lot as PU/T.

If the flight is outside your license privileges (e.g. your papers have lapsed) then you must log it at PU/T, and the RHS must be a proper instructor.

If the flight is outside your license privileges (e.g. your papers have lapsed) and the RHS is not an instructor, then you cannot log anything.

FAA rules are different. The tendency there is to log everything as PIC, which is technically right even for an ab initio PPL student since he is PIC under the privileges of the US Student Pilot Certificate.

JW411
11th Jun 2009, 17:32
Well, after all, the Americans designed and built the P-51 (both of them, I believe).

BackPacker
11th Jun 2009, 18:07
Just to add to IO540s post, you (who will be the student) don't necessarily have to sit on the left, with the instructor on the right. Even if the instructor were seated on the left and you were on the right, he can log "PIC" (and "instructor") and you can log "P/UT".

GOLF_BRAVO_ZULU
11th Jun 2009, 18:33
JW411. I'm probably missing something really simple here but how does a Mustang fit into this?

Anyway, you're right, of course; but it was designed to an AM (British) specification.

Gertrude the Wombat
11th Jun 2009, 20:41
But I would quite like to hire a plane and instructor from time to time and go off flying somewhere
It's what I've done on several continents - rent a plane and an instructor, stick a couple of kids in the back, go for a joy ride (let the instructor do the nav and the foreign radio), log it Pu/t.

Ex Oggie
11th Jun 2009, 23:02
I'm probably missing something really simple here but how does a Mustang fit into this?

The other P-51 is the Parker P51. :8

XO

englishal
12th Jun 2009, 14:56
FAA rules are different. The tendency there is to log everything as PIC, which is technically right even for an ab initio PPL student since he is PIC under the privileges of the US Student Pilot Certificate.
Semantics I know but only if the student is solo, otherwise it is dual only.

The FARs basically say "if you are rated on the aeroplane, then you can log it as PIC" - which is fair enough - you have proved to an examiner that you are capable of operating the aeroplane as PIC in those flight conditions. So a SE only PPL may NOT log PIC when flying a ME aeroplane with FI. Also this catches a few out - if flying under the hood (simulated instrument time) with a safety pilot who has an IR, and you enter actual IMC, then theoretically the non IR'd person flying under the hood can not log PIC for the portion of the time they are in the cloud - as they are not rated to be there.....so they cannot log ACTUAL and PIC...