PDA

View Full Version : PDA GPA oddments

Genghis the Engineer
11th Jun 2009, 10:11
I know I'm not alone in using a PDA as a GPS. In my case, a Pocket LooX repackaged as a pocket flymap.

Two problems I've had with it, one I'd like to share the solution, one ask if anybody else has a fix. Then, finally, a general whinge to see if anybody else has a way around it.

(1) Battery life.

The battery that came with it was rated 1200mA.hr, and had a life of about 90 minutes which was very frustrating. Browsing eBay one day I discovered that for about £18 I could buy a double capacity (2400mA.hr) battery which was fatter, but came also with a thicker back to accomodate it. The reality is that this now lasts about 6 hours, vastly improving it's usefulness.

(2) How to mount it?

I've got pretty good eyesight, but the reality is that strapped to my knee, whilst flying an aeroplane and trying to keep my head mostly outside, a PDA is almost unuseable. I also fly a wide range of aeroplanes, with selection of sticks and yokes, so aircraft mounting isn't very viable.

So, the obvious thing to do (to me anyhow) is to mount it on my left wrist so that I can just bring it up, look at and/or tap the screen, then carry on flying.

So far, I can't find a solution to this. Before I start making things myself - has anybody found a commercial solution that I can just buy and use?

(3) Finally

Flymap UK seems to have vanished! Does anybody have any idea how to get chart updates?

Cheers,

G

grow45
11th Jun 2009, 10:25
"Flymap UK seems to have vanished! Does anybody have any idea how to get chart updates?"

The company that sells the Alpi Pioneer Homebuilt - Pioneer Aviation - in the UK was demonstrating the Flymap as a new product line at the Perth Airshow last weekend. It may be they have taken over as distributors.

g45

dublinpilot
11th Jun 2009, 10:46
Hi Genghis,

I use aircraft power for my gps, however recently I needed to get external power, as I would be flying an aircraft without a power outlet.

I got one of these items. (http://one.acryan.com/ACR-MT30335?sc=13&category=19913) It changes my system from 1 hour battery life, to 5 hours. It's got a 3400mah battery, so should allow you to extend your battery life even further.

Basically it has an USB output. So long as you have a cable to charge your PDA from a USB outlet, you can recharge it with this.

Unfortunately it appears to be out of stock at present, but no doubt they'll have more in soon.

In relation to mounting, the obvious one is a windscreen suction mount. Have you discounted this because of sunlight? These are easily available for most systems, and aren't particularly expensive (more so given that you don't want it to power your pda).

dp

Genghis the Engineer
11th Jun 2009, 11:32
Sunlight and in some aircraft a lack of windscreen.

G

hugh flung_dung
11th Jun 2009, 13:17
Not an answer to your question but I DO like the idea of a wrist mount!

Like you I hop between aircraft. I have an old Garmin GPS90 with velcro on the back but never use it because it isn't much use for a quick glance when engrossed in teaching something. I tried a L00X (and before that an Ipaq) but found that the screen washes-out too much in sunlight and it wasn't very good at finding satellites. A wrist mount would reduce the sun issue but may hide the satellites more.
Had you thought about becoming "medallion man"? i.e. making-up something to hang around your neck so you can just lift it up when needed. Clearly the strap would need to be frangible but you could run power and antenna leads down the strap too - just a thought.

Someone recently was raving about a Navigo - 'might be good for a wrist or medallion mount

How does flymap compare to memory map?

HFD

Mad Girl
11th Jun 2009, 18:40
HFD

Have you now become a devil worshipper???

:ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh:

:p