PDA

View Full Version : Short term life cover?

rusty sparrow
9th Jun 2009, 08:26
I want to do a short aerobatics course - wife is unhappy about it unless I'm insured.

Not had any luck finding this - skydiving insurance yes, but not aerobatics. The loading on my life insurance policy nearly doubles it (I'm currently covered for GA)

So - any recommendations on cover? What should I expect to pay?

Pilot DAR
9th Jun 2009, 11:48
I'm sure there are many details about life insurance I do not understand, but I cannot see how a life insurance policy can dictate what type of flying you are doing in an aircraft in which you are otherwise insured to fly?

Aside from aerobatics conducted at extreme low altitudes, I cannot see how aerobatics are any more life threatening than regular flying. In either case you will be flying an airworthy aircraft within its designed limitations. The fact that the aircraft is in an unusual attitude need have little to do with the chance of dying in it. Why play to their fears?

Can the life insurance company support a different rate for aerobatic flying in an aircraft, when that same aircraft could be fatally used for controlled flight into terrain, or loss of control during inadvertant flight into IMC? (If you loose control in IMC and spiral in, would that not be aerobatics anyway? And you're covered?)

We pilots must assert our right to our chosen life pursuits without fear of being abandoned by other factions of society. If you're insured while flying an aircraft, the manuevers you fly (within design limitations) should not be further limited!

Pilot DAR

gpn01
9th Jun 2009, 12:10
Problem with insurers is that they do their calculations based on probability, revenue generated from premiums and the cost of claims.

The aerobatic 'market' is very small and the probability of a claim is fairly unknown (whilst we'll all argue it's very safe there simply isn't enough activity to be able to give what insurers consider an accurate assessment). End result is that insurers will assume a high risk and will load your premium accordingly. Seem to remember a quote I had a couple of years ago was several hundred pounds per month for life cover - but then I did mention gliding, aerobatics, competitions and instructing all in the same sentence!.

Best bet is to google 'extreme sports insurance' and see if you can get aerobatics covered.

rusty sparrow
9th Jun 2009, 13:07
I'm happy that it's safe enough - the issue is with 'er indoors who isn't happy about it.

I can get insurance for anything from extreme ironing to shark diving but aerobatics no.