PDA

View Full Version : Lessons while on vacation in N.Ireland

Tollhaus
8th Jun 2009, 14:33
I'm going to be on vacation in Northern Ireland and would like to fly with an instructor for an hour or two. I'm a helicopter pilot in the US Army and will soon add my fixed wing rating.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Initially our plan is to fly into Dublin in late July and spend a few days in County Down before returning to the city. We may travel elsewhere during our week there.

Thanks

Juno78
8th Jun 2009, 14:36
My instructor used to teach at the Ulster Flying Club at Newtownards which is around 10 miles outside Belfast, you could try there (sorry, I don't know any more about it):

Ulster Flying Club - Home (http://www.ulsterflyingclub.com/index.php)

(just checking, you do know Dublin isn't in Northern Ireland, right??)

PompeyPaul
8th Jun 2009, 14:46
I took a PA28 over to N. Ireland and was based @ Newtownards (Ulster Flying Club). Lovely part of the world to fly around and not particular difficult. Contact Belfast for entering the zone (if you are routing northwards) and I was given Aldegrove for a basic service.

noblue
8th Jun 2009, 18:26
There are 2 instructors based at Eglinton (EGAE) with a choice of a PA28 or C152. A lovely area to fly with beautiful Donegal next door.
PM me for details / contact details.

noblue

Irish_Stu
8th Jun 2009, 22:51
If you're going to be based in Co. Down, the Ulster Flying Club is likely your best bet. I'm currently finishing off my PPL there, it's a great club with friendly staff and immaculate aircraft - 3 x 172SPs (2 G1000 equipped), 1 x PA-28 and 1 x 152.

PM me with any questions about your stay in N.I.

Solar
9th Jun 2009, 01:55
Tollhaus

Newtownards is an excellent place to fly from and as mentioned the North West Derry/Enniskillen are equally as good. I fly fixed wing out of both and I'm just finishing the helicopter licience at ST Angelo (Enniskillen), Helicopter flying is also available at Derry and Newtownards. Enniskillen also has a float plane which is well worth a trip around the stunning lakeland vista that surrounds the airport.
PM me for info/assistance.

Tollhaus
9th Jun 2009, 22:40
Thanks for the help. I'll be in touch with a few of you shortly via PM.

I did find the Ulster Flying Club online and sent an email to an instructor there.

We're really unsure of where we'll end up on our vacation. We've got friends in Dublin and have not been to Northern Ireland before, so that's why we've chosen that direction. (Yes I'm aware that Dublin's not in NI; we'll just fly in and out of Dublin.)

Please keep the suggestions coming for Flying Clubs and particular sights to see (from air or ground). We'll be traveling in late July, so we're still planning.

NWSRG
9th Jun 2009, 22:56
Tollhaus,

Belfast Flying Club at Aldergrove is a friendly spot...you'll get them on the web too.

As for where to fly, three one hour (or slightly longer) sorties will have you cover the North Coast, the Mourne Mountains, and the Lakes in Fermanagh. All stunningly beautiful...

Enjoy!