PDA

View Full Version : A-320 pitot probe icing/Wx radar

Jimmy Hoffa Rocks
7th Jun 2009, 20:01
( A lot on the AF447 thread but here on this thread interested in gaining more technical knowledge and system facts related to the 320 pitot/ADR system ( and 330 when in common ) )

1) Got the AF447 AIT and hell for me the Unreliable Airspeed/ADR check procedure is probably one of the worst failures you can have.

Also having 2 bad ADR's that agree with each other AND 1 GOOD ONE ?

Anyone got more info on this ( Got FCOM 1 dont need references to it, for me FCOM 1 doesnt provide enough info, need maintenance manual refs sometimes thanks )

2) Anyone got any more info on pitot probe icing at high levels ?
Incidents ?
Pitot probes changed ?

Pasted from the AF447 thread

" Starting in May 2008 Air France experienced incidents involving a loss of airspeed data in flight, in cruise phase on A340s and A330s. These incidents were analysed with Airbus as resulting from pitot probe icing for a few minutes, after which the phenomenon disappeared. Discussions subsequently took place with the manufacturer. Air France asked for a solution which would reduce or eliminate the occurrence of these incidents. In response to these requesats, the manufacturer indicated that the probe model recommended for the A320 was not designed to prevent such incidents which took place at cruise levels, and reiterated the operational procedures well-known to the crews".

3) I feel the wx radar on the A-320 is not good enough for 2009 .
Anyone got info/Tech data on the A-320 wx radar. Specs link etc.
Thanks

I have had a few incidents with poor performing wx radar on the 320. Dont think its as good as it should be for 2009.

muduckace
8th Jun 2009, 05:26
I think the airbus/airfrance mandate to replace pitot probes after this A330 crash is as fishy as the dissaperance of Jimmy Hoffa.

Unprecedented reaction to an aircraft incident (timeframe). Alike Jimmy I feel this aircraft will never be found.(FDR/CVR).