PDA

View Full Version : Royal Highland Show - EDI

stiknruda
7th Jun 2009, 19:09
As a farmer in East Anglia I've been invited by a major supermarket chain customer to the Royal Highland Show. I can't take the Pitts as it would be "too challenging" for my business partner, so am in the process of scouting around for something to borrow, that is fast and can do it in a oner.

I rang EDI as a matter of planning and was astounded to hear that it will cost me the fat end of £150 to land and park there. I called the flying school on the airport and they could not help.

Any ideas to make this as financially acceptable as possible?

Thirty quid - I can understand, but I do not need handling and I (day/VFR) don't need NAV charges. I passed EDI last month en route to Perth and they were not exactly busy!

East Fortune probably out due to hot ship performance.

dont overfil
7th Jun 2009, 19:33
Fife and Cumbernauld are your nearest available fields. Both have around 700m of good tar and both are 30-45 minutes drive away, £50 taxi each way at least. By the time you hire a car and pay landing fees Edinburgh may be good value.
You can walk to the showground from the GAT and I'm sure Greer Aviation will run you to a hotel if necessary.
Kirknewton is unavailable to visitors.
DO.

Them thar hills
7th Jun 2009, 19:39
Stik
Archerfield ?
Looks at least as far away as East Fortune, see Google.
tth

goatface
7th Jun 2009, 19:40
I'd highly recommend Fife.

Fife Airport, Goatmilk, Glenrothes, Fife, KY6 2SL

T: 01592 753792 [email protected]
700m runway, £10 landing fee and about 15 miles from Edinburgh.

It's a bit of treck to and from the showground, but after a day's serious business and serious entertaining I don't think you'll notice the difference.

I've tried to use Archerfield before but couldn't find anyone who has direct responsibility for it and then heard from a third party that it was no longer in aviation use (uncomfirmed)..