PDA

View Full Version : Beech 18 at White Waltham

betterfromabove
6th Jun 2009, 15:31
Does anyone know what the N-reg Beech 18 is doing at White Waltham that arrived last night.

Or when it's leaving...?

Was lucky enough to see it come in, but didn't have decent camera with me unf'ly!

What a way to travel...

BFA

petes1s
7th Jun 2009, 18:42
look at this
Sanders Aeronautics - Restoration - Peter McMillan's Beechcraft Super H18 (http://www.sandersaircraft.com/restoration_beech-h18-mcmillan.asp)

it is immaculate inside an out

betterfromabove
7th Jun 2009, 21:06
Didn't realise it was as fine-looking inside as well. What a plane to own.

Was lucky to see it doing an OHJ as I drove past, then arrive on 07. Nothing else moving on the airfield.

horatio_b
7th Jun 2009, 22:13
I remember seeing it parked up regularly at Yeadon (later to become Leeds/Bradford) when it was operated as G-ASNX by Cameron Iron Works in the 1960's. It looked immaculate then in it's red/white scheme.
Glad to see it's still around.

betterfromabove
7th Jun 2009, 22:20
Whole gang of people got out of it. Looked like a group of friends on an away weekend!

Was wondering if it was en route to an air show somewhere? Will haveto ask Ops over at WW.

Considering the weather when it came in think the P1 must know his stuff....wasn't really PPL-friendly conditions.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
8th Jun 2009, 07:03
Here's a snap I took of it at White Waltham last year.:
N663TB Beech H-18. White Waltham 21 July 2008 :: N663TB.jpg :: Fotopic.Net (http://www.brendan-mccartney.fotopic.net/p52091095.html)

And at the Biggin Hill Air Fair in 1966 as G-ASNX:
G-ASNX Beech H18. Biggin Hill Air Fair 14 May 1966 :: GASNX.jpg :: Fotopic.Net (http://www.brendan-mccartney.fotopic.net/p28288338.html)

betterfromabove
8th Jun 2009, 08:53
Some planes just keep flying ....& flying....

Looks odd with nosewheel have to admit. And just look at the distance between the mains & the tip of the tail. Anyone know if W&B is an issue? Almost needs a B1900-style brace!

You could certainly hear the phrumph as all the oleos as they absorbed the WW bumps anyway from across the field...even after a what looked like a greaser!

500 above
8th Jun 2009, 11:33
Many years ago N8389H used to be based at White Waltham and flown by the late Len Perry. There is also a part time resident (ususlly lives at Duxford) during the summer operated by a Cathay driver. Best airfield in the world!

G-APDK
8th Jun 2009, 11:50
N663TB is based at North Weald, so may be just visiting
G-APDK

aviate1138
8th Jun 2009, 13:04
Isn't that a Volpar Beech 18? Tri Gear model

"In 1960, the Volitan and Parigon Corporations joined forces to form Volpar Inc. Volpar went into the business of converting standard Beech 18's to tricycle gear versions.
Pilots who have flown both versions report that in-flight characteristics are nearly identical between the standard Model 18 and the Volpar tri-gear. The Volpar has only two real disadvantages vs. the standard Model 18. The increase in weight of 175-250lbs reduces passenger accommodations by one full place, and the rear-set nose gear strut increases the risk of accidental damage to the now longer nose during tight ground maneuvers. However, the benefits of the Volpar Tri-Gear far outweigh its detriments.

betterfromabove
12th Jun 2009, 17:02
Read an article in Pilot (I think...) a couple of years ago about a Beech 18 on the French display circuit. Quite a handful of a plane to fly by all accounts....

Wonder if the nosewheel is any easier?

Cusco
12th Jun 2009, 18:54
Read an article in Pilot (I think...) a couple of years ago about a Beech 18 on the French display circuit. Quite a handful of a plane to fly by all accounts....

Wonder if the nosewheel is any easier?

How does a retracted nosewheel affect how an aeroplane flies compared to a (retracted) tailwheel version?

Just curious.

Cusco

AfricanEagle
12th Jun 2009, 21:07
I fell in love with the Beech 18 after reading Brian Lecomber's novel "Dead weight". Sooner or late I'll get to fly one, but I prefer the tailwheel version.

betterfromabove
12th Jun 2009, 21:50
Cusco - if I read your question right, although I don't have experience of the Beech 18, in most aircraft at altitude it won't make much difference (slightly different stall speed due to altered W&B perhaps?) to handling.

T/O & particularly landing will be a whole different world though, which was kind of where my question was going....

The T/W version of the Beech 18 has an incredibly high tail position on approach, although flattens out on short finals. Anyone know why this is?

(Just google "Beech 18" & you'll see what I mean).