PDA

View Full Version : Autopilot failure / TRIG transponders

Hugh_Jarse
2nd Jun 2009, 20:58
Hi everyone,

Does anyone have any experience of a Cessna 400 series autopilot refusing to turn on ? I had this happen today, couldn't see anything obviously wrong, it just disengaged pretty much instantly when I tried to turn it on (Cessna single).

It passed the pre-flight test, and after I'd landed, shut down and started up again, it worked fine again on the ground.

Anyone have any ideas ?

Also, does anyone have anything to say (good or bad) about the Trig TT31 mode S transponder ? I'm looking at replacing an old Cessna 400 model with one.

Thanks for any help,

Hugh

SNS3Guppy
2nd Jun 2009, 23:33
I don't know the transponder model to which you refer, but the 400 series navomatic autopilots have never been known as quality pieces of equipment. The inability to turn on may be anything from a holding relay to a shorted or stuck disconnect switch.

One should never undertake a flight, of course, in which one cannot complete the flight safely and comfortably sans autopilot...if for no other reason that one may reasonably plan on it's failure somewhere along the line.

Hugh_Jarse
3rd Jun 2009, 09:20
Wise words, Monsieur Guppy, and the fact I'm here to answer them is proof of their voracity and my adherence to them !

I'll check out the remote disconnect switch, thanks

Fitter2
3rd Jun 2009, 09:22
The TRIG TT31 is an excellent bit of kit, it has full 1090-ES capability for future-proofing and should be as low an installation cost as is possible. It has 'generic' EASA modification paperwork for any single engined power on a UK/EASA CofA.