PDA

View Full Version : Any PPRuners flying from Enstone?

TrafficPilot
2nd Jun 2009, 17:30
Just renewed my SEP rating at Enstone last week.

There appear to be two clubs at the airfield both with a small selection of powered aircraft. I fly from Oxford for work during the week but fancy joining a smaller club away from the noise/ATC control at Kidlington.

Any recommendations/info from those who fly at Enstone? I've visited both websites for the clubs based there but would appreciate any recent thoughts from regulars at the airfield.

Thanks

Adam
TrafficPilot

Footless Halls
2nd Jun 2009, 20:43
Yep, I'm an Enstoner.

Both outfits are good but I'm a member of Oxfordshire Sportflying. (Hope this doesn't count as advertising).

Thoroughly nice guys. What I like is a focus on flying and not any of the bs which often surrounds it. If you're used to a spamcan you may find the motorgliders a bit strange but the G109 and Dimona are actually very nice aircraft. Once you've converted you'll really appreciate them. They've also got some conventional stuff.

Recommended.

KembleKid
2nd Jun 2009, 21:11
I can recommend Enstone Flying Club. Great club atmosphere, decent selection of aircraft. I'm on my third club/flying school - EFC is by far the best of the bunch.

Alpha Foxtrot
3rd Jun 2009, 12:22
Adam,

Hi. I got my PPL from Enstone Flying Club a month ago.

I am hour building now, looking for an aircraft, but otherwise flying the 152.

Any questions, just ask.

Would be to good meet up if you are around? Go flying?

Regards,

Sky

TrafficPilot
4th Jun 2009, 16:31
Thanks for your comments - very useful:)

I've booked one of the EFC PA28s for a Saturday afternoon bimble (if the weather holds up!).

Will visit Oxfordshire Sport Flying before I go flying.

Sky - will PM you!

Cheers

Adam
TrafficPilot

Footless Halls
4th Jun 2009, 21:08
Just a personal opinion, but if PA-28 = Cortina, then HK36 = Mazda MX5 and G109 = MG B roadster. Try the HK36 Dimona after the PA-28 and let us know what you.

Alpha Foxtrot
4th Jun 2009, 22:41
FH,

Isn't "Dimona" an Israeli city in the Negev desert!!? ;)

Good job Enstone has a long runway so as you can land the thing :ok:

Banter aside FH, tis a nice aircraft to fly.

Regards,

Sky

Frelon
5th Jun 2009, 11:19
Have flown with both clubs but agree with FH, the Dimona is a real slick piece of kit. Can't wait till they get their new one!

Oxford Sport Flying is a very friendly place to be - and you can see what's going on!

TrafficPilot
5th Jun 2009, 14:35
Yes I do like the look of the Dimona. Also tempted to do some time in a motor-glider.

PA28=Cortina

Nice analogy:ok:(all it's missing is the fake walnut on the dash!)

Will visit OSF tomorrow.

Thanks

TrafficPilot

Footless Halls
5th Jun 2009, 19:43
Actually I think the last PA28 I flew DID actually have a fake walnut dash?

Being serious... I finished my PPL (a TMG one) on the HK36 Dimona, so I'd be the first to admit I am biased, but when I converted onto the PA28 I was SHOCKED by how unbelievably boring it was to fly. I still love the HK36. It is wonderful to fly and in a strange way it is more of a lady than the DA20 even though it's slower and that huge span inevitable makes it heavier to pole around.

I'd also like to sing the praises of the G109. It's more of an old lady, but if it's a good thermic day, and you've got even a bit of the glider pilot in you, position it in a thermal, throttle back, and it's a wonderful aircraft...

Ah well, back to babysitting....