PDA

View Full Version : Jinxed :-(

n5296s
2nd Jun 2009, 01:51
Last Monday... helicopter lesson, book another one for today - possible "long" cross-country (i.e. 25 nm, not really *all that* long)

Last Tuesday... drop my plane off at avionics shop for engine monitor install, they're sure I'll have it back for the weekend.

Last Friday... pop into avionics shop. Plane there with large parts of panel missing, wires hanging out, etc. "Sure to be done by NEXT weekend".

Yesterday... no plane of my own, so decide to go fly the Pitts. Call FBO, get very grumpy owner on the phone. "No you can't fly it and nor can anyone else. One of the ramp crew just backed an aileron into a hangar door."

Today... pre-flighting the heli, notice a bolt has moved relative to the tell-tale. Tell instructor since it seems like it might be important (one of the 4 that hold the tailrotor gearbox on). Instructor not surprisingly grounds it.

Sigh. I suppose I'm saving money... but actually I'd prefer to be flying.

n-nothing

BackPacker
2nd Jun 2009, 06:57
That's nothing. Talk to the owner/operator of your average Thielert Diesel and/or Robin/Alpha aircraft with planes grounded, lacking a certain spare part which cannot be obtained from the company (in receivership) or through any other means.

In our case (R2160), it was a little aluminium plate, about 3x5 cm with one 90-degree angle and three holes. Would take a skilled metalworker about five minutes to manufacture. But as this forms part of the rudder hinge assembly, it needs to be a certified item. In the end it took us seven weeks to get it delivered from New Zealand, and we were considered lucky!

Fark'n'ell
2nd Jun 2009, 07:26
In the end it took us seven weeks to get it delivered from New Zealand, and we were considered lucky!

Seven weeks? You must be kidding.

In the industry I work in I can get electronic components from the UK in seven days.(no kidding)

BackPacker
2nd Jun 2009, 07:45
The company is in receivership, or whatever it's called in NZ. This greatly complicates things. Payment in advance, no employees on-site who know the layout of the warehouse, Fedex will want payment in advance, curator has no interest in the hassle of shipping a relatively low-value part, you name it.

Katamarino
2nd Jun 2009, 09:11
But happily, if it's the aircraft I am thinking of, the plane is now flying again! Thanks to the VLiegclub for their persistance, as it meant I could get my SEP revalidation done at the weekend :ok:

BackPacker
2nd Jun 2009, 09:27
Yes, that's the one. We're all very happy to be able to turn it upside down again.

If I get enough hours on it in the next three weeks I'm going to take it to Fenland, first weekend of July, to participate in the McAully Trophy.

Katamarino
2nd Jun 2009, 11:11
I'm still at a rather elementary stage of turining upside down. Third lesson on Sunday afternoon.