PDA

View Full Version : IR medical requirements

rellis
30th May 2009, 15:41
Hi there,

I am interested in training for a PPL IR. Does anyone know if I need a class 1 medical or would my class 2 do?

Many thanks,

Richard.

dirkdj
30th May 2009, 15:46
Class two is fine, but you need an audiogram as well every two years;

rellis
30th May 2009, 15:54
Thanks for the quick reply. That's good news it will save both time and money.

I have asked this question to several intructors none of whom could tell me the answer....

englishal
30th May 2009, 17:28
What's the difference between the class 1 and class 2 audiogram? My AME sticks me in the booth every time I go for my class 2 renewal ? I can't imagine the class 1 is any harder to hear than the class 2....

Anyway it is a stupid requirement, a throw back form the days they used to listen to the radio ranges...If you can speak english and hear ok, then why do you need a special audiogram?

Donalk
30th May 2009, 18:12
Anyway it is a stupid requirement, a throw back form the days they used to listen to the radio ranges...If you can speak english and hear ok, then why do you need a special audiogram?

Agreed. I passed my initial class 1 with flying colours but at a subsequent renewal the audiogram showed a high frequency hearing loss which would have put me outside the limit for initial, but was ok for renewal. The ENT guy conducting the exam (who was also an IR rated pilot) was that the standards did not really reflect the reality.

I like the FAA method - the AME stands 2 metres behind you and whispers something - if you can repeat it you have passed!

IO540
30th May 2009, 21:34
The CAA brought the renewal limits in line with the initial limits on the audiogram, a few years ago.

However, on a renewal JAA medical, you get the benefit of demonstrated ability which means that you can fail the audiogram limits and still go through, with a statement of DA done with a CFI / training captain etc.

The USA filed a difference on the audiogram and they don't do it. It's a stupid idea which stops a lot of people over here (especially older people) ever doing the JAA IR. Especially stupid given that a BA 747 captain can go as deaf as a post but so long as he gets through the DA he can fly - because every medical he has had since his first CPL training days has been a renewal medical.

The distinction between initial and renewal medicals is a total farce - a political compromise between the medical gold platers who wanted to keep the less than physically perfect blue eyed boys out of the airlines, and the political fact that hundreds or thousands of old but highly experienced ATPs would lose their jobs overnight if it wasn't for the DA option.

The CAA try to support the distinction by saying that they owe it to the ATP candidates to not waste their money on training, only to fail the medicals a short time later. Total nonsense, given that on your 2nd and subsequent medical you have the DA option ;)