PDA

View Full Version : Aircraft down in Derbyshire

Whirlybird
29th May 2009, 16:02
I was driving home from Derby earlier today (about an hour ago), and the road leading by Carsington Water was closed, with police directing traffic. They told me it was closed because an aircraft had come down in a field, but that everyone was OK. That's all I know, but I thought I'd post it before it makes the news and people start worrying about whether anyone was killed etc.

If anyone knows any more, I'm curious as to what type of aircraft, where it was flying from, all the usual stuff. But the Good News, if the policeman got it right, is that no-one was hurt - the rest doesn't matter.

India Four Two
29th May 2009, 16:46
Whirly,

A report here:
A LIGHT aircraft has crashed in fields around Carsington Water|derbyshire police|fire and rescue|ashbourne (http://www.thisisderbyshire.co.uk/news/Light-aircraft-crashes-fields-near-Ashbourne/article-1035157-detail/article.html)

does not mention the type, but states the pilot had "only minor injuries". No passengers.

Simon

omcaree
29th May 2009, 17:51
I was talking to East mids approach at the time and heard the guy call mayday with a rough running engine, requesting a steer to Ashbourne. Shortly after this he reported he'd be unable to make Ashbourne and was landing in a field. Another aircraft in the area soon confirmed his location and reported seeing people near the aircraft.

Glad to hear that only minor injuries were suffered!

Bye
29th May 2009, 18:06
The Aircraft was G-BYFG Europa XS

1 POB no major injuries.

force landed 1 mile south of Carsington water.

Geoff, also saw it happen.

Rod1
29th May 2009, 18:57
JABIRU engine, unusual in a Europa

Rod1