PDA

View Full Version : sherburn to east midlands flight planning

liam548
24th May 2009, 22:43
about to plan my route to east midlands from sherburn leaving sherburn and heading for ferrybridge.

How does this sound? Ferrybridge to Sheffield city. Then south direct to Trowell vrp missing hucknalls atz then into east midlands. My planned altitude is 2600feet.

Leaving east midlands via trowell onto ossington before flying onto gainsbrough vrp and then to brigg for inbound to humberside.

Just after advice really still fairly new all this nav and flight planning and this is just a tad more complex than what ive planned before :)

Cheers.

Captain-Random
24th May 2009, 23:06
hey liam548 i did the exact same trip for my QXC in November 2008 (Just got my licence through the post last week woop)

I did ferry bridge to long eaton lane vrp which is a straight line and avoids all atz's along the way. (If you get lost just follow the M1)

Then from east mids to humberside i did outbound via long eaton lane and then to the gainsbrough vrp and then into humberside via brig.

When i did it i could see the power stations at east mids from ferry bridge (which meant i could have cheated a bit) but i followed my plan to see if it was correct

My advice is that its just the same as any other trick except the radio calls you have to make and as long as your radio frequencys are all written down that bits easy.

Oh and going from long eaton to gainbrough takes you close to the doncaster controlled airspace near gamston so be ready to ask for clearance if you get too close. Even if you don't go into it there ready if you do

C-R

liam548
24th May 2009, 23:50
thanks for your reply. Ill have to study the charts tomorrow. Awkward it uses two charts. Any tips for this? :)

Captain-Random
25th May 2009, 07:23
put the north chart on top of the south chart and draw round the corners of the north chart onto the south chart you you can easily line them up

DX Wombat
25th May 2009, 09:45
I don't know if this is legal or not but why not plan out your route on both charts then photocopy it (preferably in colour)? You can then have the smaller version to hand but remember to take both of the official charts, with the route still on them, so that you can double check (and still remain legal).

Gertrude the Wombat
25th May 2009, 11:11
Ill have to study the charts tomorrow. Awkward it uses two charts. Any tips for this?
There's quite a large overlap. Draw the route on both charts. On each chart mark where the other one starts. Fly on one chart until you're in the overlap, then at some point chuck it in the back or hand it to a passenger and continue on the other one. Also scribble any LARS frequencies and limits etc on both charts in case you find yourself want to switch radio services, or being handed over between them, whilst on the "wrong" chart.

ShyTorque
25th May 2009, 19:24
As a regular user of that airspace, your plan sounds fine.

Rather than scribbling notes on the charts though - try using neatly written "Post - it" notes. You can transfer these from one chart to another. I always keep a few blank ones in the cockpit as they come in useful for bookmarks, too. For use in publications like Pooley's Guide and Jeppesen's Airways charts etc, I stick a couple inside the front cover, to be used as and when.

Mickey Kaye
26th May 2009, 07:37
What about getting the CAA charts on memory map?

Plan you route on that then print it off and laminate it. It would probably print off over about 4 A4 sheets of paper you can then number them and as they are laminated draw on top of them. Much easier in the cockpit as you don't have to swap or fold over and unwieldy map. You just go from page 1 to page 2 etc

I bet someone at sherburn has a copy and could help you.

sps1013
26th May 2009, 21:35
Hi Liam

As an east mids based commercial pilot and instructor your plan and route sounds fine. Remember though, do not get caught out with the lowering base of the EMA CTA to the north. I would plan for 2500ft, then descend down to 2000ft, about 15nm to go. You MUST be 2500ft or below by abeam Hucknall, this catches alot of people out. Also remember, Hucknall ATZ is weekends only unless notam'd which is only really for fly-ins which are published well in advance.
Arrivals will be via a standard VFR arrival via the "Long Eaton Lane" east or west of the M1. East for RWY27 and West for 09.

Departure, plan for Ossington but watch out as it is not very visible from the air. Make an early call to Waddington for a Basic Service or a Traffic Service. As a last minute thought what about routing EMA to Scunthorpe then to Humberside. It keeps you clear of the gliding sites and military traffic and R313, Scampton.

Good luck. You will be fine.

liam548
27th May 2009, 16:25
Thanks for all your replies. i thought i was over complicating matters after i read captain randoms post where he said he just flew direct south. Looking at the charts there does not seem anything stopping flying a true track of 180 from sherburn.... Although it does bring me closer to doncaster and it will be done on a saturday so i have to keep Hucknall in mind.
Leaving East Mids Ill be well aware of Hucknall and be prepared to make a call. Same for Gamston, but Ill be above their ATZ. Ive decided to carry on track of 035 degrees past Gainsbrough and up to the M180 thus better avoiding Kirton In Lindsey and Hibaldstow so hopefully much safer!

liam548
15th Jun 2009, 15:59
did my QXC on Saturday and all went well really. :) Looking foreard to rest of my PPL course, should be finished soon!

Photo of Gamston on Saturday...

http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/8417/13062009633.th.jpg (http://img10.imageshack.us/i/13062009633.jpg/)