PDA

View Full Version : Uitsmijter

Donalk
21st May 2009, 08:08
Flew into Midden Zeeland yesterday morning. Lovely airfield, friendly people and the best Uitsmijter in the Netherlands.

Now Dutch pruners will obviously know what this is, but for the uninitiated it is a combination of cheese, ham and several fried eggs served on delicious bread and accompanied by a small side salad.

Add a cup of coffee and the lot comes to €6,50. Just another reason to visit this wonderful country. I'm going back on Saturday morning PA38 - D-EALU - reason - breakfast!!!

Bon appetit

vanHorck
21st May 2009, 08:12
To be correct Uitsmijters can be had as follows:

Uitsmijter Ham (Eggs with Ham)
Uitsmijter Rosbief (Eggs with Roast Beef thinly sliced)
Uitsmijter Kaas (Eggs with Cheese, you can ask the cheese to be cold of fried on top of the eggs)
or any combination thereoff

In Germany they call it "Strammer Max"

Enjoy your flying!

BackPacker
21st May 2009, 08:13
Uitsmijter Fricandeau?

vanHorck
21st May 2009, 08:17
with sateh sauce as wel????

Lots of options here.....

Oh yes, you can also ask for the yellow to be whole or broken...

Or ask for the egg to be fried on both sides

You see, the Dutch are not boring at all! They concentrate on the multitude of options regarding fried eggs on bread with something else... They are a versatile people....

Donalk
21st May 2009, 08:40
Now I'm spoilt for choice - the rosbief variety sounds delicious and might just have to be Saturday's breakfast. It's a public holiday here in Belgium, kids are off school, and I have suggested to my better half that we cook up some Uitsmijter for lunch.

She is still looking at me with suspicion but if I cut the grass, take the kids to the park, walk the dogs and trim the hedges then it's a deal. Small price to pay?...............or perhaps I'll just go to the airfield and........;)

PompeyPaul
21st May 2009, 08:53
I never got to grips with Frikadellen though. Probably the most disgusting sausage that it's ever possible to produce.

Frites met pindah sauce me up though!

Stroepwaffles, hmmm....

BackPacker
21st May 2009, 09:09
PP, ever tried bitterballen?

It flies
21st May 2009, 09:45
Anyone for wentelteefjes?

Recepten - Lunch - recept Wentelteefjes (http://www.receptentabel.nl/recepten/recept/?recept=246)

Sorry, I have no idea how to translate wentelteefjes for the few english readers left here...

vanHorck
21st May 2009, 11:03
Berehap... another of the Dutch fine Cuisine....

Anyone for wentelteefjes?

Recepten - Lunch - recept Wentelteefjes

Sorry, I have no idea how to transalate wentelteefjes for the few english readers left here...

I guess it translates as "Wiggling little Bitches"....

We're such a fine nation.... :ugh:

wsmempson
21st May 2009, 11:14
did you have your elt?:rolleyes:

It flies
21st May 2009, 11:32
Yeah, I tried to translate it into something like that. Thought it best not to go there. :)

PompeyPaul
21st May 2009, 12:55
PP, ever tried bitterballen?
Yep, they're the round version of the Vlees Kroket aren't they ? Quite keen on those. Still amazed that the rest of the world hasn't adopted the beer met portie kaas though. That is truly a world class invention right there.

Kaas souffles are pretty awesome too. All in all I love Dutch food. The only place to get it in London though is De Hems, and it's hugely expensive there.

Erm, should really talk about flying. Is it possible to get a Cirrus Sr20 into EHMZ ?

BackPacker
21st May 2009, 15:10
Is it possible to get a Cirrus Sr20 into EHMZ?

It's got a BRS, not? So you can get in vertically.

Getting out will be another matter though.

vanHorck
21st May 2009, 15:33
Bitterballen are also available at the Rembrand cafe in Bucharest.

Best land at Baneasa, cheaper and closer to the centre than Otopeni. VFR in romania is a pain in the neck though for foreign registered aircraft

subsonicsubic
21st May 2009, 23:58
The friekendell special gets my vote....mmm.

The first time a pprune thread has made me hungry!!!

vanHorck
22nd May 2009, 06:48
Patatje kernoorlog is another one of the fine Dutch cuisine.

Translated it means Nuclear War fries and it is a portion of fries, preferably in a paper bag with mayonnaise, sateh sauce (slightly sweetened peanut butter sauce) and freshly chopped raw onions

By now all of the UK must be planning their trips to Midden Zeeland or Texel....

Oh yes, if the waitress asks if you want SLAG ROOM with your coffee, it means whipped cream only!

BackPacker
22nd May 2009, 08:08
I wonder if Restaurant Midden Zeeland also does pannenkoeken? Spek, stroop, uien... Mmmm.

Anyway, yes, they have a new owner since about a month. Friday evenings seem to be the best: between five and seven everything from the tap for just one euro, followed by unlimited spareribs for - I think - 11 euros.

There's a campsite about a kilometer away (actually underneath final 09) and the lovely town of Arnemuiden about three kilometers away.

Now of course I don't know how all this compares to the Haute Cuisine you get at Le Touquet but I guess that the distances for someone coming from the SE UK to LFAT or EHMZ are more or less the same. And EHMZ has customs too (1hr PN). So why not pay them a visit instead?

Donalk
22nd May 2009, 10:50
I'm told you can also hire bicycles at the airfield to explore the surrounding countryside. Exactly what you need to work up an appetite. I'll get some details when I visit in the morning.

Would definately agree that it is a worthwhile destination for anyone coming from the UK. Midden Zeeland - douze points.

vanHorck
24th May 2009, 09:26
I wonder how many G reg aircraft will have landed at Midden Zeeland.....

We're all waiting for the reports on the food!

Welkom op Zeeland Airport !! (http://www.zeeland-airport.nl/) Free documents bag at C today see on the left hand side of the website (unfortunately in Dutch only)

mightynimbus
24th May 2009, 10:21
Been there! - several times, great food, great welcome, really long trek over the water direct from UK!

Only grass runway that can get tricky in the soggy months.

vanHorck
25th May 2009, 12:38
Any weekend verdict?

Donalk
25th May 2009, 19:42
Any weekend verdict?

Taking advantage of the excellent flying weather over the weekend I paid another visit on Saturday. There was a really good atmosphere about the place with lots of aircraft coming and going and a seemingly endless supply of Uitsmijters being consumed. Part of the attraction of Midden Zeeland for me is the general buzz about the place which is lacking at my base in Charleroi.

I would gladly trade the 2400m of paved runway for the informality and friendliness of a small grass airfield where everyone knows everyone else and the coffee does'nt come out of a vending machine.

Just a thought but it strikes me that MZ could make a good location for a PPRuNe get together?

vanHorck
26th May 2009, 07:02
Donalk,

I d pick a weekend and start a new thread perhaps called something like PPRUNE GA FLY IN

I think not everyone is following this thread.

Good luck!