PDA

View Full Version : Cri-Cri

JamesTigris
20th May 2009, 22:15
Hi all,

I was at Kemble the other week for the Vintage Flying Weekend (highly recommended by the way!) and saw an absolutly amazing aircraft (which must have been classed as a microlight) called a Cri-Cri.

It was a very small single-seater with two single cylinder engines mounted on individual 'pylons' the front.

Does anyone else out there operate this type of aircraft?? I would be very interested to hear from you as they're astonishing aircraft!

-JT

Lightning6
20th May 2009, 23:20
An exciting aircraft indeed, it's been around a few years now, some interesting reading here:-

Colomban Cri-cri - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colomban_Cricri)

Lightning6
20th May 2009, 23:48
YouTube video here:-

YouTube - World's Smallest Twin (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcPlXNjmmco&feature=related)

hatzflyer
21st May 2009, 07:24
Its not a microlite, just because its small don't make it a microlite.There are defined criteria which include wing area/loading etc to qualify as a microlite.
It is an approved design in this country and comes under the LAA.
There is at least one flying in France with 2 jet engines.( the design is very popular over there!

shortstripper
21st May 2009, 07:24
They've been around for years and look great fun. I'm pretty sure they're not classed as microlights though. However, I'm also pretty sure they're classed as SEP despite the two engines.

Discussed many times on here if you do a search.

SS

Rod1
21st May 2009, 07:41
It is not a micro, but it is extremely aerobatic. Have a look at;

www.dynaero.com (http://fpkit.nexenservices.com/lien/indexuk.htm)

Rod1

Tinstaafl
21st May 2009, 16:25
How could it be classed as SEP?

PBY
21st May 2009, 17:53
In Canada, you can log the time as normal multi-engine hours.

k12479
21st May 2009, 18:01
How could it be classed as SEP?

Because it has centerline thrust, or close to, a bit like the Cessna 337 which is also treated slightly differently than normal twins?

Tinstaafl
21st May 2009, 18:39
Even a C337 is logged in the multi column. Centerline thrust or asymmetric thrust is irrelevent for logging purposes, only for the type of training needed before you're allowed to fly the thing. Many other aircraft have closely mounted engines within the fuselage or otherwise near the centerline.

To carry it to silly extremes, how would you log something like an Electric Lightning? It most certainly has more than one engine (Two big f**kers, in fact), but mounted one above the other.

Anyway, I'd love to own a Cri-cri. What a great little runabout. I wonder if I could get one IFR approved? In the US, that is. Maybe install a glass panel with integrated solid state gyros to save weight. Or a Garmin 430 for a nav/com

'Chuffer' Dandridge
21st May 2009, 20:53
I've flown the Cri-Cri, and logged it as Multi engine time, but then I have an MEP rating. Its a superb little aeroplane, and a shame there's not more around.:ok:

wet wet wet
21st May 2009, 21:44
Will the Cri-Cri fly at all on one engine? If not then the only thing to do in the event of an engine failure is to land. So maybe you can fly it on a SEP rating since asymmetric flight is not an option.

LH2
21st May 2009, 22:36
This has been discussed before. In any event, it probably depends on which jurisdiction you consider.

In France, it is considered a single engine plane, which according to extrapolation from my very rudimentary Norwegian supplemented with lots of imagination, this Swedish page (http://www.cricri.se/) appears to confirm:

Behöver man ME-behörighet för att få flyga det?
Nej, inte i Frankrike i alla fall. Avståndet mellan motorerna är litet, så det betraktas som enmotorigt. Eftersom planet fortfarande är Franskregistrerat är det deras certifikatregler som gäller, och därför kan jag flyga det på SEP. Svenska Luftfartsstyrelsen kommer utvärdera om det behövs ME när planet väl svenskregistreras.

So the trick for those looking for cheap ME hours would be to hire a C-reg cri-cri :)

Lightning6
21st May 2009, 23:04
For those that don't read Swedish, here's a Google translation :-

Do you need ME permission to get to fly it?
No, not in France anyway. The distance between the engines are small, so it is considered as single-engine. Since the planet is still French Registered, it is their certificates rules that apply, and therefore I can fly it on the SEP. Swedish Civil Aviation Administration will assess the need for ME when the plane well Swede recorded.

SNS3Guppy
21st May 2009, 23:42
I've wanted a cri-cri since they were first introduced...and one of these years...

A goofy looking little airplane, I've always been impressed that it can do what it does on such little engines and propellers. Sort of like watching an F-117...that it flies at all is somehow just a very neat thing.

If you do a little digging on the web, you'll find some video of one flying with small model airplane turbojet engines.

I couldn't care less about logging the time, but it looks like a lot of fun to fly.

It also looks like it might get very hot in the cockpit in the summer.

2hotwot
22nd May 2009, 20:01
I saw one of the first ones at Cranfield PFA Rally some years back. Very impressive. I was impressed when it leapt into the air and roared past the crowd. Amazed when it rolled inverted and stunned when it completed an outside loop. After landing three people picked it up and carried it back to the aircraft park.
Plenty of people started building them but very few flew. What was the problem, anyone?

vanHorck
22nd May 2009, 20:21
There was one based at Fowlmere many years ago, I seem to remember it had an open cockpit but I am not sure.

I thought it was scary being so tiny but at the same time fascinating.

How many are registered in the UK?

kevmusic
22nd May 2009, 21:40
I've seen them displayed at the Biggin Air Fair (and elsewhere) time out of mind. Great little planes.

airborne_artist
23rd May 2009, 07:55
There are eight on G-Info, but only G-SHOG is shown as having a current permit.

mike172
23rd May 2009, 14:13
I seem to remember reading that it flew very well on one engine.

WaspJunior
23rd May 2009, 15:18
Plenty of people started building them but very few flew. What was the problem, anyone?

I bought a set of plans/build licence several years ago, and quickly realised that it was a fairly complex little aircraft with a high component count that had to be built to very exacting standards (more so than normal). At the time I decided that it was beyond my capabilities and patience. I was in touch with a French company that was going to start producing pre-cut and drilled kit components but it came to nought.

I still have the plans if anybody has the urge to rush out and build one. :)

Tinstaafl
24th May 2009, 04:29
In the world of 'One day...' I'd love to build a Cri-Cri. One day, when I have the time...and the space...and the money. When did you get your plans & what did they cost then? I've heard that they're no longer available from the designer, although I have no information about the veracity of this rumour.

What sort of things did you feel required more than basic sheet metal fabrication skills? Are there items that must be forged, milled or turned? Special tools? I've never even seen plans for a Cri-Cri so I'm a bit in the blind about what's needed.

But to have a Cri-Cri! Imagine the comments taxiing one at Orlando International... :E

WaspJunior
24th May 2009, 11:13
When did you get your plans & what did they cost then? I've heard that they're no longer available from the designer, although I have no information about the veracity of this rumour.

I got the plans from M. Colomban many years ago and have no recollection of what I paid although a quick Google suggests the last known price as being €208? I believe you are correct and that plans are no longer available and I further understand that some of the aluminium extrusions and other components are very hard to find.

What sort of things did you feel required more than basic sheet metal fabrication skills? Are there items that must be forged, milled or turned? Special tools? I've never even seen plans for a Cri-Cri so I'm a bit in the blind about what's needed.

I was just naive (and very young!) in thinking little aeroplane = little work! No superhuman skills are required although some components do need to be turned and machined. The wing skins are glued to the foam ribs and held in place with a vacuum bag until cured I seem to recall. The tolerances to work too were very strict as you can imagine with a wing area of just 34 square feet it has to be built very accurately. In short I did/do not have the patience for the many hundreds of hours work needed, having studied the 42 sheets of blueprints and read the construction manuals I have the utmost admiration for anybody who builds their own aircraft.

jxk
24th May 2009, 15:21
Also be aware that the American version (Cricket?) might be modified in an unsatisfactory way.

Chipmunk Janie
24th May 2009, 16:39
I found someone brave enough to pose in front of the Cri Cri as a size reference. I'm not sure it was such a good choice of comparison.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v718/Aviatrix/G-VFWE%202009/P1000883.jpg

I offered to buy the aeroplane off of the owner, on the spot, but he looked as though he wanted to own it for another 100 years. :)

rtl_flyer
29th May 2009, 10:42
Here are some more pictures of G-SHOG

http://www.airport-data.com/images/aircrafts/small/013/013266.jpg

http://www.airport-data.com/images/aircrafts/small/050/050553.jpg

Rod1
29th May 2009, 10:52
“Will the Cri-Cri fly at all on one engine?”

There are a variety of engines used, but I have seen one flown on one engine as part of a display in France and it was doing aerobatics…

It has a reputation of being hard to build, but Dyn Aero do sell some bits for them. His next plan build aircraft, the MC100 Banbi was also quite a challenge, until it was redesigned into the MCR01 by Mr C Robin. Mine took me 1800 hours, but I did get there in the end!

Rod1

Cusco
29th May 2009, 16:23
I'm sure G-SHOG was part of a display where it landed on top of a speeding Shogun (presumably hence the reg).

Have rummage briefly through youtube but cant find owt.

Cusco
WellI was close: it was the takeoff

]YouTube - Cricri (world's smallest twin plane) takes off from car (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uuoD7TwwPA)

AlphaMale
29th May 2009, 16:34
http://www.flight.cz/cricri/photos/UK-Sandy-Cameron/Shogun%20Cri%20Cri.jpg

fernytickles
30th May 2009, 13:29
When the Airbus A380 comes to Oshkosh this summer, apparently one of the pilots is bringing his Cri-Cri along too, as cargo.....

In an overhead locker? Or the baggage hold?

Tinstaafl
31st May 2009, 01:30
I wanna Cri-Cri.! I wanna Cri-Cri! <stomp>

"Wonder what it costs to build one?" muses a little voice in my head.

Lightning6
31st May 2009, 01:44
I wanna Cri-Cri.! I wanna Cri-Cri! <stomp>

"Wonder what it costs to build one?" muses a little voice in my head.

The first time I saw a Cri-Cri in action at Biggin Hill, My first thought was "I'd like an hour in that!" As for cost....Pass.

Jasta 10
31st May 2009, 06:47
There is a Yahoo Group which discusses the Cricri in great detail. It is more for the actual builders rather than the "dreamers" so if you go there as a "dreamer", please read the info (all the questions you will have have been asked before , so search) but let the builders get on with their serious discussions. Here is the site CriCri : CriCri (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CriCri/?yguid=287402211).
Michael Columban still sells plan sets for the aircraft. However, due to a past litigation problem, he will not sell them to anyone from the USA. As you will see at the Yahoo site, it is strongly recommended not to proceed with the Heintz Cricket (US version) which allegedly has some design modifications which are "unsafe" and have lead to some accidents.
The Cricri is certainly a unique aircraft.

jmerzar
5th Jul 2018, 19:33
Hello JamesTigris,

I just want to ask if, Do you have the CRICRI building manual?
I am planning to build one.

tacpot
6th Jul 2018, 19:59
I've seen that there is now an electric Cri-Cri. This could be a factor in a resurgence in interest in the design as the availability of the JPX engines was one of the factors holding it back. The unusual materials used in construction and the lack of support from Colomban to select alternatives still make it difficult to see how any new ones will be built

Jan Olieslagers
6th Jul 2018, 20:13
Unfortunately, an electric-powered Cri-Cri suffered a bad accident, killing a person quite well-known in tinkering circles in a rather horrible way. I know of no proof that either the aeroplane design or the particular electric installation were to blame, still there was very little news after that; if any at all.

Accident Colomban MC-15 Cri-Cri PH-THE, 21 Sep 2013 (http://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/wiki.php?id=160806)

n5296s
7th Jul 2018, 01:38
Very sad, but why would an electric aircraft catch fire?

DownWest
7th Jul 2018, 06:20
Very sad, but why would an electric aircraft catch fire?
Possibly because they were high powered Li-ion batteries and short circuited in the accident.
Near here at an industrial estate at Royan, a company built an electric Cr-Cri , but in carbon fibre. Then went on to build an electric tandem twin trainer which had an endurance of 45 min. Looked good and tested well. But AirBus pulled the funding, so not going into production.
IIRR, the Cri-Cri had four motors, two on each side, back to back.