PDA

View Full Version : emails printing as garbled

call100
19th May 2009, 16:47
Trying to sort out a problem for someone...When they try to print emails from Outlook express or IE the result looks just like Hex code(?)
I don't use either so am digging around in the dark....I downloaded Thunderbird for them as a temp measure and the emails from there printed fine.
I assume there is a setting in IE and Outlook express that I'm not getting. They are using XP.
Any help appreciated......
:sad:

taxydual
19th May 2009, 19:14
The printer driver is corrupt. Download a fresh version and install.

amanoffewwords
19th May 2009, 21:14
or one of the fonts is corrupt or missing

call100
20th May 2009, 08:46
Done the Driver re install/update........
How would one corrupt font alter it all? I've tried changing the font and nothing happened.
It prints the test pages OK and Word docs etc. Only stuff from Outlook express and IE are corrupt.
Talking to him again this has only happened since he dumped the dreaded AOL and went to the equally dreaded Talk Talk.....(He wouldn't listen!!!:eek:)

taxydual
21st May 2009, 17:32
Ah, Talk Talk. Apparently TT are having problems with Email at the mo (and for some time, it seems, GOOGLE talktalk email problems for more info).

You could try migrating to googlemail and importing the talktalk emails through them.

Details here

How to Import Mails and Contacts from Other Email Providers to Gmail My Digital Life (http://www.mydigitallife.info/2009/05/20/how-to-import-mails-and-contacts-from-other-email-providers-to-gmail/)

Ancient Observer
22nd May 2009, 16:54
Wouldn't it be easy to cut and paste from OE or IE in to Word and print from there? I often do that when the IE site display is stuffed full of ad.s. Maybe I'm missing something......

Saab Dastard
22nd May 2009, 17:18
OE and IE are tied quite tightly together, so it isn't suprising that you are having a problem with both.

I would be inclined to back up any emails, back up IE favourites, then remove them (Control Panel > Add / Remove Programs > Windows Components).

Reboot, then re-install in the same way. You will need the XP installation media to do this, BTW.

If it all works, great. Then don't forget to update all the MS patches!

If not, remove them and move to an email program and browser that work better - e.g. Thunderbird & Firefox.

SD

call100
22nd May 2009, 22:01
Yep...Did the move thing for him....Now a happy TBird and FireFox user with no problems.

Thanks all for your thoughts...:ok: