PDA

View Full Version : Longest flights with your ppl

Kiev23
17th May 2009, 17:13
I was just wondering whats the longest flight you have made with your ppl, and what are your stories of how the flight went?

WeeMan18
17th May 2009, 17:39
I've done longer trips professionally but my round-Britain solo was the best use I've made of my PPL and a heck of a lot of fun.

My previous thread about it is here (http://www.pprune.org/private-flying/357203-aeronca-champ-round-britain-solo.html) and I posted various goodies related to the trip on the 'Resources & Media' page of the aircraft group website G-LEVI.com (http://www.g-levi.com).

PS If you like what you see, feel free to click a few of the ad links on the group website to help keep the show on the road. Cheers, WeeMan

Sam Rutherford
17th May 2009, 18:07
5.8, Luxor-Khartoum. Departed Luxor at 0100, landed at Khartoum just after dawn! Flown at over 10,000ft in the inkiest black I've ever flown in, over territory containing no lights whatsoever!

Very weird, but a GREAT flight!

Sam.

IO540
17th May 2009, 18:40
6:50 airborne time, UK to S. Spain. ~ 900nm, uneventful. Quite a "technical" flight, trying the most economical engine settings to maximise the constantly recomputed FOB (fuel on board) figure for the destination. Landed with (IIRC) 23.5 USG in the tanks; a 0.3% difference between the computed burnt fuel and what the bowser man claimed to put in after landing.

I am planning some longer flights but the problem is the lack of avgas among the alternates.

echobeach
17th May 2009, 20:03
Not sure if you meant longest single leg of flight or overall distance travelled. I try and make one long trip each summer with a flying friend.
Last year we flew out to tempelhof in may before it closed. Superb vfr flight through Belgium and holland and across Germany. Much useful advice from pprune on route and 5 hours each way with break in holland each way.
2 years ago did Caen, la rochelle, pamplona and south of mountains to Perpignan. Then up Rhone valley to Lyons and via beauvais Paris back home. This was a 3 day trip.
This has really given me the bug to tour more. You have to be flexible if doing this vfr but that is quite a bit of the fun.
You really feel it is worth all the effort and with some planning it is not too difficult.

007helicopter
17th May 2009, 21:25
G-LEVI what a great reg, have you had some interest in people trying to buy it?

A and C
17th May 2009, 21:28
Makes my wifes Townsville - Brisbane flight (5h 05min) look rather tame!

IO540
17th May 2009, 21:50
Longest trip was to Sitia LGST in Crete, done in 2004, under "VFR" ;)

Stops were Grenchen, Wangen-Lachen, Corfu. On the way back, Corfu, Corsica.

Nothing difficult on that one, except we got stuck in Switzerland for a few days. A better strategy is to clear the Alps in one go from the UK, but I listened to all the "mountain waves will get you" bar-room pilots and waited for perfect weather over the Alps.

overandout
17th May 2009, 22:03
It really is no big deal. The aircraft does not know where you have been or where you are going. The further from UK the flying gets easier and the ground and planning problems get worse. Stay safe and easy in Europe or more fun to go adventuring intercontinental.
Speaking as one who has done UK to Alaska and Joburg to UK.
Next trip is round the world in July. Life is for living and expanding horizons.
See that Henshaw's record to Capetown and back has been broken after 70 years. Brilliant effort.

Pilot DAR
17th May 2009, 22:40
Longest duration and range single flight, as second pilot, Rotterdam to Rhodos, Greece; 13.5hrs, 1850 miles in a Twin Otter, enroute to Lesotho. Longest solo distance trip (with stops); 1950 miles San Antonio, Texas to Bangor Maine an a Piper Arrow IV, Longest single engine over water in my C150 75 miles PEI to Madeline Islands in the Gulf of St Lawrence, Farthest away from home in my 150; Central Ontario to Key West, Florida many times, and my wife and two folding bikes to the Bahamas.

It's a big world, lots left to go...

Pilot DAR

vanHorck
18th May 2009, 08:52
Bucharest to Jerez de la Frontera in one day (fuel stops in Pescara and Palma de Mallorca) and return flight 2 days later, two days of each 11 hours flying time in a Seneca IV

englishal
18th May 2009, 09:01
Longest leg was 600nm in 4 hours. LA to Colorado including some low flying over the desert and flying though Monument Valley...

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2171/1930863271_0bdd9e2f31.jpg
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2262/1930862525_ff4fde29af.jpg

Roll on friday! ;)

scooter boy
18th May 2009, 10:49
8.5h Jersey to Athens.
Needed to pee really badly after landing (forgot to pack the lord John).
Now I never travel without it (even in the car :ok:).

wsmempson
18th May 2009, 10:53
Last year I flew from Denham to Reus (just s. of Barclelona) with a short break at Carcasonne. We came back a few days later via Avignon and then Deauville.;)

spernkey
18th May 2009, 18:25
Not long after we got our first diesel engine fitted i looked in the log book as the first service (100 hours) was due. I was a bit surprised to see that one of our photo teams had been down to Cornwall for the day and booked 10.5 hours. I asked them about it to see if they had stopped off anywhere and sure enough they had done 10.5 hours straight because they wanted to get the work out of the way and get back for some pussy in the evening! 200 litre tanks for 14 litres an hour! Awesome.

Billredshoes
18th May 2009, 19:02
Hi

Longest flight 1100 miles ish each way
Popham - Nyiregyhaza ( Hungary) - Popham

Full Trip report here (http://an2club.info/Hungary%20Trip.PDF)
In the AN2 at about 100mph total trip time 25 hours.:ok:

Fujiflyer
18th May 2009, 20:33
Pathetic by some standards (from others) but: Corsica (Figari) to Chambery: 5hrs (very strong headwind), Toulouse to Caen (seemed to take all day, on the way back from Menorca - Route: Menorca - Toulouse - Caen - Le Touquet - Shoreham), also (seems like nothing now) Tours to Perpignan however I did Shoreham - Tours- Perpignan - Menorca, that same day. Then found all the accom' on Menorca was fully booked :{