PDA

View Full Version : Malaga area-GIB-Tangier trip.

Consol
16th May 2009, 19:35
Hi all,
Planning a trip from the Malaga area to Tangier but would really like to fly via GIB. Is this possible direct from Spain? If not can anybody suggest alternatives such as via Portugal? Any tips for handling, procedures with customs etc? Well experienced on GA, airline and private trips but never done this. Thanks, C

MANAGP
16th May 2009, 20:25
No problem in flying to GIB direct from Spain. Politics are long gone!

LH2
16th May 2009, 21:46
Politics are long gone!

And last I heard, PPR came in to fill the void. Give them a call.

Malaga - Tangier can be done without need for a stop. Or were you asking for advice on any other interesting airfields to visit other than Gib?

Consol
16th May 2009, 22:08
The GIB bit is to make it more interesting. Did think about Meilla too.

DLT1939
16th May 2009, 22:23
Be aware there is no avgas at GIB and often not at Tanger either.

Clearance number for GIB: +350 200 53533.

172driver
18th May 2009, 17:53
LEMG-LXGB no probs, albeit I think PPR. Call. Melilla would be bit out of the way, but if you intend to go be aware that this is classed as 'leaving the EU', IOW you have to fly from a customs/immigration airport (which of course LEMG is, but for example LEAX is not). Next up is the dreaded LEMG NOTAM prohibiting VFR flight Thur-Sun inclusive. So far never had problems with Avgas in Tangiers, but always a good idea to check (anyway, LEMG-GMTT is about 50 mins, so that shouldn't be a problem)

Pace
18th May 2009, 21:23
Consol

have flown into Malaga many times but always IFR. Be careful as i am pretty sure they only allow VFR deps on certain days /times (someone confirm?) as you could be stuck.

You will be sent down the coast low level below 1000 feet and then handed over to Seville. No chance of getting them at that level so you are on your own. Have Gib frequencies and the approach can be very turbulent if winds in wrong direction.

Pace

TheGorrilla
19th May 2009, 00:12
Careful flying downwind of the rock too. It can spoil your day!:}