PDA

View Full Version : Air Cadet AEF Flying Height and Weight Requirements

Siforest65
7th May 2009, 21:02
My son has been nominated for his first AEF at Cranwell on 16th May. Just wondering if any of you guys knew of any height/weight requirements?. I know for gliding there is a weight requirement but can't find anything on powered flight experience. He is a touch small for his age and I'd hate him to be dissapointed and not allowed to fly.

thedonnmeister
7th May 2009, 21:10
Well Im 6ft 3 & 14st so can only just fly in them! But on the other end of the scale, my mates Sister is rather "petite" and she can fly. Its all about his height/chest as he needs to wear a parachute. But I'v seen tiny lads go flying.

Good luck to him, he'll love it! :ok:

muppetofthenorth
7th May 2009, 21:10
Can't remember the figures off hand, but unless he's absolutely minute, he'll have no problem. A girl on my UAS who was no more than 5'1 was fine to fly.

Siforest65
7th May 2009, 21:56
Thanks for the replies. He is 4 feet 10 inches tall.

Fingers crossed he will be allowed to fly. If he isn't, I appreciate there must be a good reason from a safety perspective.

BEagle
8th May 2009, 04:32
Thanks for the replies. He is 4 feet 10 inches tall.

Torpy isn't much taller than that...:E

Pontius Navigator
8th May 2009, 06:07
I know there is a weight limit for the parachute at about 7.5 to 8 st but don't know if they apply that to the AEF.

No one has every jumped from an AEF ac as far as I know. Crashed, yes, jumped, no.

Background Noise
8th May 2009, 06:41
That's an encouraging thought to send him off with PN. :rolleyes:

RB877
8th May 2009, 07:34
Height shouldn't be a problem as they have seet cushions to boost them up a bit. The ACP says between 35 and 114kg fully clothed but without parachute. If he is not within this, send him anyway and let the AEF staff make the decision. I'm sure it will be fine and he'll have a fantastic trip.

RB

Pontius Navigator
8th May 2009, 07:48
That's an encouraging thought to send him off with PN. :rolleyes:

True, but true and sad too. As people may recall there was a mid-air only this year. Thankfully the accident rate is very low per sortie flown. Don't know what it is but I know of less than a handful in decades.

I was wrong about no one jumping at all as there was a jump from a Varsity IIRC that led to the redesign of the parachute harness. Late 70s perhaps?

airborne_artist
8th May 2009, 08:02
No one has every jumped from an AEF ac as far as I know.John did. I know he did, I saw the film of him doing it.

Pontius Navigator
8th May 2009, 08:14
John did. I knew he did, I saw the film of him doing it.

OK, what, where, when, why?

Wholigan
8th May 2009, 08:16
The parachute upper weight limit has recently been changed to 122 kg, but this has not reached the cadet APs yet.

There also used to be a height limit of a minimum of 1.1 metres to the shoulder, but I can no longer find reference to this in the APs.

Wholigan
8th May 2009, 08:18
I think the phrase used is "no cadet has had to jump from a training aircraft such as the Tutor".

However, they have exited hurriedly from other RAF aircraft, including the Harrier.

GPMG
8th May 2009, 08:22
Jump, jump Sir.

Pontius Navigator
8th May 2009, 08:28
Wholigan, that is what I meant, certainly.

Can't remember, but my first flight could have been in a Hastings or Dakota and just missed a chance in a Lincoln, but the Chippy was the most common.

airborne_artist
8th May 2009, 08:38
A mate and his beefer had to abandon a 'Dog. Mate landed in Farmer Giles' lush green meadow. Beefer landed in the slurry pit :}

taxydual
8th May 2009, 08:40
John Alan Quinton - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Alan_Quinton)

I bet this thread is really boosting Siforest65's confidence.
But don't worry Mother Siforest65, the operative word is 'banter'. banter definition | Dictionary.com (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/banter)

Never mind the flying, will your boy get used to the banter?

:ok::ok:

chevvron
8th May 2009, 08:41
Mid air near Reading mid 60s; 2 chippies from White Waltham (one 5 AEF and the other a UAS aircraft I think); I believe the pilots got out but the cadet didn't but I may be wrong.

TEEEJ
8th May 2009, 08:46
Jump, Jump John was the pre-flight film.

Jump jump John - Key Publishing Ltd Aviation Forums (http://forum.keypublishing.co.uk/showthread.php?t=23361)

TJ

Siforest65
8th May 2009, 18:04
Once again, thanks for the replies folks.

Don't worry taxydual, I am well aware of the dangers but then again crossing the road is a risk. As for the banter, he enjoys that sort of stuff at Cadets because it's not done with the nasty edge that some stuff at school does. It made his day last night when someone smaller than him joined and one of the other lads asked how he will cope with the competition :) . Joining the Cadets makes you realise that there really are some nice kids about, not to forget the adult volunteers who put so much time and effort in.

I will post when he has done (or not done) the flight to let you know how it went.

taxydual
8th May 2009, 18:38
Well done. I wish the lad well.

Regards

Beancountercymru
8th May 2009, 22:47
Before John it was Sgt Clark , if I recall correctly. I always thought Sgt Clark too clever for his own good

Sgt Clark was instructed by his Officer in a smart barathea battle dress as all good Officers wore in those days

Siforest65
16th May 2009, 16:19
Just a quick update.

My son did his flight today and had no probs with height or weight. He absolutely loved it. Not sure if his mum was keen when he said he had done a loop and barrell roll :ok:

Culio
17th May 2009, 10:42
Ah yes, the infamous, "Now this is your first flight isn't it cadet?" "Yes Sir" "Well then I really shouldn't do this but oh well" Aerobatics ensue.

Great fun :}

taxydual
17th May 2009, 15:45
Siforest65

Thats something he'll remember for the rest of his life.

Fantastic.

Best regards.

Siforest65
18th May 2009, 06:02
taxydual

yes it is something he will never forget

Before he left I specifically told him to thank the pilot and also the Civilian Instructor who drove them all there. Unless I'm mistaken, unpaid volunteers who give up their time to make it all happen.

BEagle
18th May 2009, 08:23
Ah yes, the infamous, "Now this is your first flight isn't it cadet?" "Yes Sir" "Well then I really shouldn't do this but oh well" Aerobatics ensue.

When I did a little AEF Chipmunkery at Scampton in 1979, the one inviolate rule was that it was totally and absolutely verboten to do any aerobatics on a cadet's first ever flight, no matter how much he pleaded!

I guess it's the old AEF vs. Rules syndrome again - as we saw all the time at Abingdon in the late '80s and early '90s.....

But great that your son enjoyed his flight, Siforest65 - and here's to many more....:ok:

deltahotel
18th May 2009, 08:24
Glad he enjoyed it. Pretty much all voluntary. I fly at Cranwell and it's no burden I assure you. Light a/c are fun and many many years ago someone gave their time for me in the back of a Chippy. Always good to give something back.

DH

airborne_artist
18th May 2009, 09:10
SiForest - yes - CIs are unpaid. Consider joining the Civilian Committee of the Squadron to help with fund-raising etc. Good fun, worthwhile and not a huge amount of time needed, probably only 5-6 meetings a year.