PDA

View Full Version : Is the IMC rating safe - be concerned about what is happening in your name.

Fuji Abound
2nd May 2009, 21:00
There is a concern on the AOPA forum on Flyer that the IMC rating i s under threat.

It would seem the results of the AOPA survey to which many of us contributed may not be available to make a difference.

All may be well, but we arent being told.

The rating may be safe in AOPAs and EASA's hands - but it may not.

Be concerned.

S-Works
2nd May 2009, 21:06
The survey is still running. Therefore using the past tense is a bit premature.

I am very appreciative of everyone who took the time to respond to the survey. As this is such an important matter I would like to give everyone who has an interest in the IMCR an opportunity to respond before I close the survey.

I have done some data modelling on it ready to write an article. When I am ready to release my findings I will do so.

Not a lot more that I can say at the moment.

The survey can be found here:

Great IMC Survey (http://myqiq.info/survey/index.php?survey_code=e310a292&login=1)

echobeach
3rd May 2009, 07:15
I thought I had followed this issue very closely and I am very grateful to those making the effort to support this rating. I was quite surprised I hadn't come across the imc survey before, which I have now filled in. I must have missed it in a previous Imc thread. This thread may help get more to complete this.

steveking
3rd May 2009, 08:23
Just started the IMC course, be a shame to lose it before I finish it.

Just filled in the survey.

vanHorck
3rd May 2009, 09:05
It would be nice after filling in the questionnaire if you could see the result so far, at least the number of participants so far

shortstripper
3rd May 2009, 11:16
I've just completed the survey and have copied and pasted my conclusion as it is what sums up the rating for me. Please don't get too hung up on how many or few of us use it, or are even current. I feel it's worth is in it's safety awareness aspect as much as it's practical use.

I did the imc as a "get out of jail card" The aircraft I tend to fly are not IR rated, but I'm glad I did the course and believe it gave me a much better and informed approach to flying in marginal conditions. I'd never have done an IR course for similar reasons as the cost is too high. Long live the IMC rating! Whether you use it or not, it's a very worth while rating to take.

SS

BEagle
3rd May 2009, 12:07
IMCRs are needed for wholly different reasons to PPL/IRs - and that point MUST be made to FCL.008.

The PPL/IR holder mainly wants to fly from A-to-B along airways into regional airports in UK and Europe at medium levels watching the GPS and autopilot fly him/her along a pre-planned route.

The IMCR is used by someone, whether PPL, CPL or ATPL, either to meet the more limited IMC requirements he/she needs, or to fly IFR closer than 1000ft to cloudbase when above 3000ft agl - such as tug pilots aerotowing on a good soaring day. Or, for example, by a FI who simply wants to teach EofC 1 against a ruler straight horizon above 8/8 cloud rather than groping around underneath with no decent horizon.

My concern is that the IMCR holder's needs are being given insufficient emphasis in FCL.008 - which appears to be more interested in reducing the IR requirements down to ICAO level. No bad thing in itself to make the IR more achievable, but not at the exclusion of the IMCR.