PDA

View Full Version : Exams for Bronze/Silver C

then_ident
30th Apr 2009, 13:27
Hi all,

In relation to the ground exams (if any?) for the above, I just wondered what they consist of. Are they along the same lines as the PPL exams or totally different?

Regards,

T_I

MIKECR
30th Apr 2009, 15:37
If we're talking gliding then there is only a written test(multi choice paper) for the bronze badge. There isn't one for the silver.

Its a few years since I did a bronze paper but at that time it was fairly straight forward. Basic questions on air law, met, gliding etc. Nothing too taxing.

Your local gliding club will keep you right. Its usually just a case of finding a quiet corner in the clubhouse somewhere when your ready and having a stab at it.

L18C
30th Apr 2009, 18:25
There is one multi-choice exam for which I prepared using the BGA rules & regs document on the website and 'Brone & Beyond' by John McCullagh. Most PPL topics are covered but in a lot less detail. Some of the aerodynamic aspects are different as they relate to glider-specific things like airbrakes and glide performance. I found some of the exam questions rather ambiguous so its easy to misunderstand them.

If you can pass the PPL exams then you should have no trouble with the Bronze exam.

oversteer
1st May 2009, 13:47
Thanks to Essex & Suffolk gliding club:

Bronze Documents Download (http://www.esgc.co.uk/bronze.htm)

If you can answer those questions you'll be just fine.

Remember your setsquare, ruler and map. Also remember how many feet in a nautical mile, that seems to come up a lot and the questions flip between units sometimes.

Also - go through the answers with your examiner and double check everything, there are often errors in the BGA answer papers!