PDA

View Full Version : Part-M Maintenance Contract

61 Lafite
30th Apr 2009, 11:38
Has anyone looked at how Part-M affects an owner's ability to shop around for maintenance services to suppliers other than their Part-M contracted provider?

If I think my provider is too expensive, are they obliged to keep the part-M paperwork up-to-date with the other provider's work details, or is this something they won't do?

Lafite

robin
30th Apr 2009, 12:59
In theory, you can get any of the maintenance organisations with the proper approvals to do the work. All you need to do is to let your CAMO know. You could change any time without worry.

Again, in theory, there is no link between your CAMO and MO, as these should be arms-length arrangements. A lot of the larger companies have effectively split the roles within the organsation.

However, it is quite possible that if you are under a restrictive deal with the CAMO and that they will not accept you moving away from their preferred MO. I would doubt that would stand up in court though.

Your problem is that you are going to be stuffed by the CAMO and if you have signed up for a controlled environment, it will be expensive and difficult to move.

In one of the June editions of the flying mags there is a summary of Part M. The most interesting bit there concerns the new ELA1 regs (applicable to sub-1000kg, but likely to be sub-1200kg).

In it most of the low-end fleet will not have to sign up to the controlled environment, as the rules are a lighter version. These are not set in stone yet and the CAA has been delaying letting the GA owners know about this and also approving the engineers that could make it happen.

Again, a piece of nastiness from the Belgrano. :ugh:

Things are likely to get a little worse soon with the new Chairman of the CAA being a chum of the Treasury and a non-flier.

A and C
30th Apr 2009, 13:54
We offer part M subpart G and with that you can shop around for your subpart F work.

61 Lafite
30th Apr 2009, 15:29
Thanks for the replies, I need to get into the detail of my contract!

Is there a guide to Part-M and the various sub-parts, in a form that the average non-lawyer can understand? at the moment I'm having to just go with what my maintenance provider says has to be done, but I would like some independent information.

Unladen aircraft weight is about 700 kg, MTOW is 1150 kg

Lafite

A and C
30th Apr 2009, 17:33
PM me & have a chat I will try to help.