PDA

View Full Version : R/T Diversions

PAPI 32
20th Apr 2009, 22:42
Hi all.

My skills test was unfortunately split into two parts due to weather/examiner commitments. He wouldn't say if I passed the general handling but I'm quite confident. Anyway he said we will do just the Nav straight up and down basically tomorrow, with possibly a few surprises. This does not excite me.

Anyway I'm about ready but I'm a little confused with regards to my diversions. I'm happy with the process but what the hell do I say to whoever I'm on frequency with? I cannot find any reference to R/T whilst performing a diversion in the CAP413.

Help? Less then 12 hours. I should get some sleep.

Chesty Morgan
20th Apr 2009, 23:07
Mate chill. Just say "Request diversion to..." that'll work.

Good luck:ok:

Keygrip
21st Apr 2009, 04:05
Or, as the captain.."I am diverting to..."

Whopity
21st Apr 2009, 06:45
A Diversion is no different to flying anywhere else. The person on the ground does not know where you are going until you tell them, if you change your mind and go somewhere else, then they are not to know you have changed your mind. If it affects anything you have told them, then as the others have said, just tell them what you are doing.

Of course if you had done you RTF practical test before you started solo nav as recommended, you would already have covered this! There is a reason for the way things are laid out.

JonathanB
21st Apr 2009, 07:07
On initial response to "Pass your message" I usually say "G-ABCD, Cessna 152 from x to y, routing via z and unknown diversion" (plus level info etc.).

Then: "G-CD at x, diverting to y".

Whopity
21st Apr 2009, 07:26
routing via z and unknown diversionTotally unnecessary waffle! Do you do that on every flight? after all you might have to divert! Point of departure, Destination and present position are all that is required and in a formal position report next turning point and estimate.

BEagle
21st Apr 2009, 07:30
Who you are
Where you are
What you're doing

Anything else they can ask for!

You don't have to try to sound like an airliner driver / fighter ace. Just use plain English to make your point.

But, as Whopity says, it's far better to have passed the RTF Practical Test before flying either the Q X-C or the PPL Skill Test! hen I was a CFI, I insisted on it.

JonathanB
21st Apr 2009, 07:34
No I don't on every flight, but if I know I'm going to divert as part of the air exercise, then figured it might be helpful to let ATC know that I'm unlikely to get to my planned turning point. Particularly if the route took me through their airspace. (I got a divert from the Lyneham overhead on my PPL skill test).

I can see your point about it being a bit waffly though!

Whopity
21st Apr 2009, 07:50
routing via z and unknown diversionTotally unnecessary waffle! Do you do that on every flight? after all you might have to divert! Point of departure, Destination and present position are all that is required and in a formal position report next turning point and estimate.
Until you divert, you don't know you are going to divert!