PDA

View Full Version : Thrust Reverser Deactivation

granard
20th Apr 2009, 19:01
When a Thrust reverser is locked out for dispatch, how do you control the aircraft with only one in operation for a two engine aircraft.

411A
20th Apr 2009, 19:42
When a Thrust reverser is locked out for dispatch, how do you control the aircraft with only one in operation for a two engine aircraft

Don't fly a twin, but...on my three engine type, with a wing engine thrust reverser locked out, reverse is used very carefully, especially on wet/slippery runways, least you find yourself in the weeds, pronto.
Especially, with strong crosswinds.

Iceman49
20th Apr 2009, 19:56
Additionally, I do not believe that TRs are factored in for stopping distance.

Rainboe
20th Apr 2009, 20:40
You can have a V1 cut and still use full reverse on the remaining engine. As you slow down, you will start feeling asymetric pull, which will reach limiting control level below about 50kts or so when you should come down to idle reverse, then forward idle. It is not a big problem.

411A
20th Apr 2009, 21:56

Oddly enough, on some types, they are.

punchus
20th Apr 2009, 22:12
"You can have a V1 cut and still use full reverse on the remaining engine".
Maybe I am being pedantic but after a V1 cut stopping would not be relevant.

captjns
20th Apr 2009, 22:25

Depends on your operators' QRH or P&P. Also may have an effect on Brake Cooling Calculations.

At the end of the day... thrust reversers on the CFM only make noise, and consume fuel

Bullethead
20th Apr 2009, 23:13
I spent nearly twenty years flying four engined jet aircraft and there was strong emphasis on using symmetrical reverse thrust during an engine out RTO or an engine out landing, allegedly due to directional control problems.

Now for the last seven years or so I have been flying the B767 twinjet and it is SOP to use the remaining reverser to the full during an engine out RTO or engine out landing and I've had no directional control problems whatsoever.

Several decades ago I was involved in a medevac in a Herc and had a prop failure which required an outboard engine to be feathered and even though the requirement for symmetrical reverse was fully briefed for the approach full reverse on the remaining three engines was inadvertently used with no real problems. It was an extremely long duty day which started late at night and arrived back at base just after dawn. We both looked at each other in stunned surprise after the landing roll ended and commented on the requirement for symmetrical reverse.

I can only conclude that the four engine procedure was developed when there were no large twin jet engined airliners and has become part of the culture though possibly unnecessary.

Regards,
BH.

lomapaseo
21st Apr 2009, 00:22
When a Thrust reverser is locked out for dispatch, how do you control the aircraft with only one in operation for a two engine aircraft.

As ususal I may be missing the point behind the question, but here's an answer that may or may not apply.

First off to me there's not much difference whether you have two engines or four engines if its an outboard engine that's locked out. So I tend to lump my answers broadly.

Then most pilots probably wouldn't use the working reverser on the other side since the aircraft doesn't normally need reverse to stop except in rare circumstances (coming in long and hot on a slippery runway etc.)

For those that do use an asymetrical reverse the aircraft can be easily controled via rudder at the higher speeds where the reverser is effective. At lower speeds most pilots would have already decreased the reverse thrust and the nose wheel handles the asymetry that's left.

Yes there are pinch points where you absolutetly have to stop in a short distance and your hands will be full of asymetrical aircraft, but that's often because you've already screwed up a good landing :)

So to me the short answer to the question is to simply brief the issues (using or not using) before hand and adjust accordingly.

Capt Chambo
21st Apr 2009, 00:46

On the 737 classics and NGs it's a complete non-event. The aircraft is easily controllable down to speeds where the TRs are cancelled.