PDA

View Full Version : Question for Instructors

johnq
20th Apr 2009, 14:07
I'm in Ontario, Canada and recently got my commercial license. I plan on getting my instructor rating next. My commercial instructor however recommended only getting the rating from a place that has a job guarantee, i.e. they will hire you upon completion of the instructor rating.

From what I understand, a lot of the instructors stay at schools they once learned at. Then there are others that don't.

Is it a waste of money doing my rating from a school without a job guarantee? I know I'll be given preference over another candidate of equal abilities that didn't do the training at the school but from what I've been hearing, that's as far as they go. Or is an instructor rating an instructor rating is an instructor rating?

Any input appreciated.

essouira
23rd Apr 2009, 08:19
In the UK it is very common to do instructor rating with one school and then get a job with another. I don't know how it works in Canada.

tropicalfridge
25th Apr 2009, 09:44
The above post is correct, but the larger schools able to offer FI courses prefer to employ their own students as they are already standardised. As ever in aviation, schools usually employ the first person who is in the right palce at the right time, so will often go for the guy just out of an FI course at the company across the road rather than the 10 unread CV's sitting in the CFI's inbox.

Its all academic at the moment because in the UK instructor jobs are now extremely difficult to come by unless you go part-time at or are very experienced with lots of ratings.

172_driver
5th May 2009, 23:46
Don't know about Canada, but guess its similar to the US. You can freelance as an instructor. You already got a job, just needs some customers off the street that wants to learn how to fly!!!

In Sweden you might find a job opportunity at the school where you took your licenses (but mostly right place right time) - pretty similar to the UK I imagine. In the US, CFI (+ job opportunity at the school in many cases) is often included in the program you signed up for. Therefore there are lots of instructors in the US that are out of work.