PDA

View Full Version : Mode S and ELTs in France/Germany?

invertedspin10
16th Apr 2009, 20:55
Im planning a trip into France and possibly Belgium or Germany this summer (VFR) in an SEP or possibly a TMG and am unclear on the requirements to have the following:

1. Mode S transponder
2. ELT, PLB

My questions are:

Are either of these items mandatory in France/Germany/Belgium?

If mode S is required then for which class of airspace is it required or is it mandatory everywhere.

I have read the recent thread Re Holland but was wondering about these other countries.
Hope you can help

Mike Cross
16th Apr 2009, 22:43
ELT/PLB in France (https://www.sia.aviation-civile.gouv.fr/dossier/aicfrancea/AIC_A_2008_10_EN.pdf)

Mode S appears to be required for IFR in France (https://www.sia.aviation-civile.gouv.fr/dossier/aicfrancea/AIC_A_2007_08_EN.pdf)

dom462
29th May 2009, 19:36
I read that from March 2009 you cannot enter some controlled airspaces in France without a Mode S transponder. Does anyone know whether this is now in force and if so which airspaces it effects? I was hoping to make a trip to Le Touquet and North East France this summer and I only currently have Mode A.

Donalk
30th May 2009, 20:01
Mode S is not required for VFR flights in Belgium until 1/1/2011.

cambioso
30th May 2009, 20:33
Does anyone know of anybody that has actually been stopped by the "PLB Police" in France and asked to produce their PLB?
I suspect not........................................

Donalk
31st May 2009, 10:47
I know several pilots who regularly fly across the border to France without ELT's/PLB. I'm not condoning a breach of the regulations but just making an observation that non compliance is widespread.

Whilst it is the pilot's responsibility to ensure compliance with all necessary regulations I suspect that renters also sweep the issue under the carpet knowing full well that their aircraft are in breach.

Has there been any ramp checks? - none that I'm aware of but I stand to be corrected.

moevydotnet
31st May 2009, 11:34
Hi @ all,
if you fly VFR and below 5000ft you dont need a transponder. For IFR you need a mode S transponder because you are all the time in controlled airspace.

If you want to fly in controlled airspace below 5000ft (C or D) you have to have a mode S transponder. Or if you go above 5000ft.

We have some TMZ in the south (Bodensee / Friedrichshafen). There you need a mode S transponder too.

ELT, Im not sure. There is a rule that you need a ELT, but they only say you need a new 406 MHZ ELT of your aircraf if the first registration of the aircraft is after the 01. April 2009.

Michael