PDA

View Full Version : Panshanger Airfield At Risk Again?

Jim59
10th Apr 2009, 14:37
Mariposa Investments, the owners of Panshanger, have engaged the PPS Group
(‘Welcome to the PPS Group, the country's best lobbying, stakeholder relations and PR consultancy. From a network of UK offices, PPS offers two distinct services.
· It was the UK's first and is its foremost supplier of lobbying, communications and consultation advice to the property industry.
· It is an experienced provider of media relations, communications and stakeholder programmes– an advocate for clients wanting nationwide reach and a regional presence.)
to assist them to get Welwyn Hatfield Borough Council to change its Local Development Framework so that Panshanger can be used for housing. They are holding public exhibitions nearby on 24th through 26th April.

Currently Panshanger is an Area of Special Restraint (ASR) in the Hertfordshire Structure Plan Alterations 2001-2016. Mariposa seeks to overcome this hurdle. In 2002 Welwyn Hatfield Councils view was, “However it would require the release of greenfield sites to meet the shortfall such as the Area of Special Restraint (ASR) at Panshanger. This would be contrary to local plan policy, therefore …is not supported by Welwyn Hatfield.”

I think out of the many airfields in Hertfordshire in the post-war years only Elstree will be left if Panshanger goes.

goatface
10th Apr 2009, 17:40
Sentiment is all very well, but it's commercial reality which keeps places such as Panshanger, or any other airfield, going these days.

There's a lot of misguided loyalty with regard to similar operations on this forum but the reality is, put up or shut up.

You takes yer choice.

sss
28th Apr 2009, 09:28
now its made the welwyn and hatfield times,

The Welwyn & Hatfield Times - 1,000 new homes could be built on Welwyn Garden City airfield (http://www.whtimes.co.uk/content/whtimes/news/story.aspx?brand=WHTOnline&category=News&tBrand=HertsCambsOnline&tCategory=newslatestWHT&itemid=WEED27%20Apr%202009%2017%3A52%3A30%3A120)

A and C
29th Apr 2009, 08:06
At the moment most people could not get a morgage on a garden shed so just how do these people expect to sell a thousand new homes?

HeliCraig
29th Apr 2009, 14:38
Well, the last time I attempted to go to Panshanger their radio was awful and the chap on the other end was less than helpful in any case.

Admittedly we no PPR, as it was an en-route decision, and he wasn't even prepared to entertain PPR over RTF. Which wouldn't have been a problem, but he was so abrupt about it - almost to the point of being rude. So onwards we went!

Hope it doesn't get turned into houses though... that would be awful for GA; but can't help thinking if they go around alienating pilots they won't have many on their side!

(And before I am shot down in flames, I am aware that there are probably 1,000 pilots who have had excellent service from Panshanger - but I can only speak as I find :)).

Oldpilot55
29th Apr 2009, 16:16
My Panshangar experience was equally unfriendly. The guy I phoned for PPR did not know what I was talking about but we both decided I would just turn up. No briefing so no advance warning of the stroppiness to come. We got a row for not wearing hiviz jackets despite most of the folk on the airfield not wearing them. We parked in the wrong place and had to start up and relocate. We had attempted to get instructions on the radio but without success.
On the positive side we met some friendly folk there who we were more than happy to meet. The catering was excellent and served by friendly waitresses.
I guess all airfields can have their off days but I would go back.

Flintstone
30th Apr 2009, 07:01
Wasn't a bearded guy with an accent giving you a hard time was it? On the whole people there are fine but there are one or two who could do with talking to.

tmmorris
30th Apr 2009, 19:00
I've not had the stroppy RT, but I seem to recall the visitor parking is exceedingly well signposted...

Tim

DHfan
27th Nov 2012, 10:15
I gather the local council are thinking of closing what remains of Panshanger and building 700 houses on it. There's apparently little or no local support for the idea and even the MP doesn't agree.

Save Panshanger (http://www.savepanshanger.co.uk/)

I've no idea if it will do any good but there's a link to a petition against the plans there.

What's left probably less than a quarter of the airfield from when I first knew it in the middle 50s but it would be shame to lose it.

Lunchmaster
27th Nov 2012, 10:46
I did my PPL there and there is indeed a serious threat to the airfield and North London Flying School. The site has been earmarked for 700 homes and a traveller site by the local authority, Welwyn-Hatfield council.

The local community is up in arms as there would be huge strain on existing infrastructure, schools and medical facilities. For local pilots it is one of only two licensed airfields left in Hertfordshire - the other being Elstree.

I'd urge anyone who has visited EGLG or indeed is interested in preserving the general aviation facilities we have left in Britain to back the campaign to keep Panshanger open. The current management have done a great job revamping the airfield and cafe and there are hundreds of members of the club. Recent events such as the popular Goodwood-style Revival have attracted 1,500 visitors.

Besides the petition, there is a website with more information: Save Panshanger (http://www.savepanshanger.co.uk/)

And also a Facebook group: http://en-gb.facebook.com/SavePanshangerAerodrome?filter=3

We must act now before the public consultation period ends in mid-January.

Lunchmaster

taxistaxing
27th Nov 2012, 11:49
The site has been earmarked for 700 homes and a traveller site by the local authority, Welwyn-Hatfield council.

It really comes to something when local councils want to plough up airfields to house "travellers".

I will certainly be signing the petition.

xrayalpha
27th Nov 2012, 12:21
TT,

Careful what you say - all comments on Pprune, while not necessarily attributable to a particular individual, are available for public/commercial view.

It is not unknown fro developers or councillors to come across Pprune and use views expressed here - genuine or facetious - as representative of the entire aviation community.

So it might be better to say:

It has come to a sorry state where the council can't find anywhere better for travellers than a working airfield with extremely poor infrastructure which will mean inadequate healthcare, education, water and sewerage for some of the most deserving people in our community.

Then we know exactly what you mean.

Our perhaps criticise the council because the only site in the entire county they can find for some of the least fortunate people in our midst is one which would lead to the loss of scarce private sector aviation-related jobs - which cannot be easily relocated - and would have inadequate healthcare, education, water and sewerage for some of the most deserving people in our community.

I am sure that if the council really cared for the less fortunate of their constituents, they would have taken the trouble to find a better site.

And if they really care about job creation and preservation, they would not be supporting this development.

taxistaxing
27th Nov 2012, 13:13
Xrayalpha, you're quite right. It's the welfare of the travellers I was thinking of in my post. Those poor souls.

Jude098
28th Nov 2012, 00:01
Why not turn it into an aviation village and continued use as an aviation educational establishment and GA centre.... making it the first UK Airpark. My dissertation for my MSc in European Rural Developments was on "EUROPEAN RESIDENTIAL AIRPARKS IN THE CONTEXT OF LOCAL SUSTAINABLE RURALDEVELOPMENT" Briefly the research found positive economic, social and even some environmental impacts as Residential Airparks have assisted local communitysustainability and Susutainable Rural Development. Residential Airparks can help slow rural out-migration, ageing, lack of infrastructure and difficulties in public service provision by improving thelocal economy, skill-base and, directly and indirectly, rural transport.
Living sustainably should not preclude the enjoyment of GA activities. Aircraft ownership can reduce the obstacle of distance and break down spatial barriers and therefore could play an important role in certain rural locations, coupled with the fact that small GA aircraft can be unattractive to civil airport managers.
In addition as a pilot training centre it holds an importance for providing future pilots in commercial aviation.
The research findings helped Belgiums 1st Airpark in their planning application.

thing
1st Dec 2012, 22:07
Mmm, was on my list of 'to visit' places for next year. Best get there before it becomes houses.

DHfan
28th May 2013, 15:50
I hear from my sister, who lives on what was part of the airfield until 20 - 30 years ago and told me about the threat, that the council have gone away to look at it again after a lot of opposition. Many pointed out the council's responsibility to support airfields which is apparently under some EU directive, not UK policy.
Info is second-hand and as remembered so apologies if anything's not right.

OliverWallace
29th May 2013, 16:51
DHfan,

It would be very interesting if you could find out some more information around this EU directive. You never know, it could help allow you to live on an Airpark in the UK one day!

AndoniP
31st May 2013, 13:06
xrayalpha,

as with all public forums, posts are the opinion of the owner, these can in no way be representative of the forum or community. there's no need for sarcasm, no need to make it sound PC. just tell it like you see it.

taxistaxing was right first time - why ruin an airfield to house travellers and build loads of houses? there are probably other sites that can be flattened in the county.

xrayalpha
31st May 2013, 14:31
AndoniP,

No sarcasm meant by me.

But, I can tell you from experience - with wind farms - that people use Google and find Pprune and then state in "expert analysis" what they see here as representative "facts".

Or Google the G-STYX story and see what the AAIB wrote after scouring the internet forums!

Dean McBride
18th Jul 2013, 12:59
Saving Panshanger, Saving History! Dean McBride Group Leader of Holwell Hyde Heritage

National Planning Policy Framework guidelines have not been followed by Welwyn Hatfield Council over their jandling of Panshanger Aerodrome
If they followed the guidelines (or 'Hide'lines) then Panshanger Aerodrome would not have been put forward for housing.

How then can it be put forward for housing but deny the other options as being Perverse and having a planning vote.

The Margin by which the nearest rival was seperated was not 10, 20 or 75 but 600 votes against Panshanger Aerodrome. This came out of research for Save Panshanger which I led prior to saving history.

Please get in touch if you feel this is not the case.:ok:

Regards,

Dean.

Sir George Cayley
19th Jul 2013, 15:44
Hi Dean,

Your post reads as if you expect it to be fully understood by people like me who aren't fully up to speed.

Could add a bit of explanation to the figures quoted please?

SGC

Dave Barnshaw
19th Jul 2013, 16:24
I flew to Panshanger with my instructor late last year,not a happy visit,R./T.dodgy,and when we entered the café we were greeted with "are you members",when I explained that we had just flown in for a visit the guy said "oh,I suppose it's alright then",never went there again,the most un-friendly airfield in the London circuit that I have ever flown in.

Dean McBride
27th Jul 2013, 14:19
I see Councillor Perkins is missing from my text. She was the one I gave the save panshanger petition to in January. In February I set up Holwell Hyde Heritage and from this commenced my WW2 discovery at Panshanger with the council, the upshot being I managed to convince the council to carry out an appraisal on the aerodrome to prep it for conservation. :D

When the report was put forward to the council from the officers who assessed the previous consultation and 'how many new homes' it was said that Option 6 was the better option, whereas Option 4 (panshanger) would only protect the green belt (so they say). Option 6 is the villages of Brookmans Park, Welham Green and Cuffley, deviding the proposed houses for Panshanger in to these villages, as the report pointed to infrastructure was already in place in the villages and the votes against Panshanger was over 600 for option 4 (a negative vote), Option 6 had around 72 and the other options similar amounts, Panshanger was clearly not the place to build. The councillor said it would be Perverse not to build on Panshanger. Why? :ugh: the NPPF guidelines were not met in the decision made, whereas all the decisions were met for the villages. :ok:

Hi Dave - I don't represent the aerodrome at Panshanger or its business. := :confused:

:ugh::mad:

I am sorry that you had that experience, because its my local and I myself was written to about inviting non-members,lol. I think, and I'm sure you know the aerodrome faces closure and any normal person would be under great pressure, as I am sure all the other aerodromes around the country are feeling the pinch. Normally they are fine down there, but for me the hoo haa arose when I said in print I was going to give out my leaflets at the revival day and it caused a stink with someone. Bottom line is, I just will try and keep my affairs to my self. No-one can ensure how the attitude of a person is going to be, on a certain day, though it does not stop someone from being polite. Ive been censored and you've been fobbed off looks like but is that going to stop you from going? on your next visit it might be different:ok:!

Gertrude the Wombat
27th Jul 2013, 16:09
votes against Panshanger was over 600
Don't know what you mean by that - no council has that many councillors, and I haven't heard of a council running a referendum over a planning policy issue (is it even legal?).

If by "votes" you mean "responses to consultation" or "signatures on petitions" then those aren't "votes". Sometimes it is legally correct, and even legally the only option, to take planning policy decisions that hundreds of people oppose (or, at least, will sign a petition opposing, in order to get the organiser off their doorstep).

Dean McBride
5th Aug 2013, 19:54
Hi Gertrude.

You seem to know the planning process and you are right Councillors should not decide referendums

With the decision to choose option 4 as opposed to option 6, this will come out when the enquiry looks to see if this core strategy is sound and have followed the 4 NPPF points (which they have not) is sound and I'm sure there are a queue of people to raise this point.

Panshanger Aerodrome could close to provide 700 dwellings (http://www.shapps.com/forum/index.php/topic,8678.45.html) The page 4 comment is an interesting read.

Thanks for your input Gertrude.

Dean.:cool:

Dean McBride
22nd Jun 2014, 23:18
I have managed to get Panshanger Aerodrome's wartime Past now Officially entered into the' Historic Environment Record' for Hertfordshire. :D

The council decided against awarding the aerodrome a conservation area based on their own beliefs it is of no historic value :confused:

They have agreed with English heritage that the North side of the aerodrome (the original aerodrome 1940) the Raf Mess will be preserved.

On the South side, behind Moneyhole Park is the decoy factory switch room, which is also going to be preserved. :D

In the Conservation Area Appraisal, it is recommended that no more buildings should be built on the aerodrome other than the amount of current buildings there already, meaning they are saying no to 700 houses, but yes to developement.

The Blister Hangers are regarded as Rare and In Situ but not mentioned as worth saving.:=

What I will point out is that Panshanger Aerodrome is the remains of only 1 of 4 in the UK today of a 3D Star-Fish Site, which makes Panshanger in the National Interest something Mariposa overlooked when I was making the connection with the Dambusters.

Panshanger Had 2 Aerodromes in the second world war, not one, as they had a changer of call sign. This is something that was overlooked. :ok:

The Panshanger Jet, the SK1. Local undiscovered history and the legacy of it, the London Aeroplane Club Hanger. There is more to Panshanger and by the end of this year I will draw it out. Digging is too hard! :uhoh:

ab-initio.wix.com/holwellhydeheritage

piperarcher
23rd Jun 2014, 11:35
In the Conservation Area Appraisal, it is recommended that no more buildings should be built on the aerodrome other than the amount of current buildings there already, meaning they are saying no to 700 houses, but yes to developement.

Good work Dean, and interesting information.

What does the "yes to development" mean? It can be sold and developed for any other purpose, except housing?

DHfan
23rd Jun 2014, 15:09
I'm confused, North and South seem the wrong way. Surely the still active part is the South side?

I'm sure I read years ago that it was briefly called Hogsnorton but I've no idea where and I don't think I've ever heard it since. To me it conjures up an image of a large pig on a motorbike...

Panshanger was also sort of "historic" as the brief home of W4050, the prototype Mosquito. When Bill Baird was hiding the Mossie in various places to avoid burning it like he'd been instructed to, it spent some time in bits in the blister hangar by the old refuelling area.

Dean McBride
8th Jul 2014, 18:11
:D I could not use the words Panshanger Aerodrome in my last petition as someone else used it, but with Recent Historical Developments at Panshanger Aerodrome and addressing that issue to the First Secretary of State, Its time to set the record straight.

No real Heritage preservation at Panshanger, until I came along and since that happening I have managed to get Panshanger Aerodrome in the Hertfordshire Historic Environment Record and the Raf Mess and the Switch Room protected.

If you want to see Panshanger Aerodrome survive after 2019, sign this new petition or share it around the UK. Untill the law is changed, it will go on as previously planned.

http://t.co/QGP1S6MYXe

Ab-Initio Verimus-Calum

Dean. ;) :D

ChickenHouse
9th Jul 2014, 06:43
Dean, sadly this petition is UK citizen only. It may be wise to setup some additional supporters survey for the non-UK citizen. If you present 50 locals signed petition, backed up by 1.000 fly-in chaps, it may help.

Cessnafly
11th Jul 2014, 11:00
Just heard from a reliable source that Panshanger is closing on 20/09/14.

Stampe
11th Jul 2014, 11:06
Confirmed I,ve just had an email from the flying club.Very sad...a really good cafe and I,ve always been made welcome.Lets enjoy it for the rest of the summer.

Bob Upanddown
11th Jul 2014, 12:37
I find this difficult to understand (but I have not had the email, so maybe that explains).

Previous post "if you want to see Panshanger Aerodrome survive after 2019, sign this new petition or share it around the UK."

So, assuming the airfield was safe until 2019, what has brought this about so soon?

Cessnafly
11th Jul 2014, 13:06
Email :-

Dear all,

It is with great sadness that we have had to send this press release out to you. Please read and communicate it well in your publications and on your websites to let people know.

The closure is sadly due to the licence agreement with the landowner, Mariposa Investments Ltd, expiring on 21st September 2014. Therefore, the aerodrome will be officially closing on Saturday 20th September with limited flight operations in the final week from 14th September. We are very grateful to have had so many years here at Panshanger and I’m sure you will agree that there is no place like Panshanger.

We would like to invite you to come to the last events – Panshanger Revival Day on Sunday 10th August and the Aerobatic Day on 14th September as these will be a celebration of General Aviation in the UK. We will also be holding our Young Aviators Day on Friday 1st August to give those young pilots some inspiration for the future. It will be great to write articles about these events so other airfields can recreate something similar in the future to keep the Panshanger spirit going. Please let us know so we can add your name to the guest list.

If you require any original imagery, please let me know as we have high resolution copies.

Thank you for all your support over the years.

Kind regards

Haim and Sue

piperarcher
11th Jul 2014, 13:50
This was always the issue, rather than planning houses on it or quarrying. The historical landowners (Mr Nat Somers) had a passion for aviation. When he passed on, his wife, and in particular the sons of Mr Somers (going under the name of Mariposa Investments) had no interest in it being maintained as an airfield, and it was just $$ for quarrying land or housing. I suspect the licensing of the airfield was a small revenue generator.

Those who live nearby wont take this as good news as even if the land is vacant for some years, it will become a dump probably. Those who have planes and fly from there have to look elsewhere, and as someone mentioned I cant imagine Stapleford, Elstree, North Weald accommodating all the planes, though I suspect they would welcome the new business.

Its a big blow, especially as it seemed to be a thriving flying school, in a recession period.

Camargue
11th Jul 2014, 14:26
The problem for any airfield, especially in the south, near a built up area is the value of the land for development, which will run into £10's or even £100's of millions compared with getting peanuts leasing it out.

Close the airfield, turn it into brownfield wasteland and in a few years the council will permit full development and the current owners and their future heirs will never need to work again.

Unfortunately Panshanger isn't the 1st and wont be the last.

TCAS FAN
11th Jul 2014, 14:29
piperarcher

I think that you will find that it is one son. While he had an interest in aviation after a wheels up landing (which i witnessed), and possibly another, he appeared to lose interest.

Used to work for Nat, not the easiest of bosses, but was fair. Loved his flying, I spent many hours with him in his Aztec and later Navajo. Had a great way of doing things, straight lined it every time. After buying Southampton he bought Halfpenny Green, the latter he knocked into business shape and sold on. Remember a trip up there from Southampton, airborne, climb, direct track, wasn't bothered about something called "Green 1"!

Shame about Panshanger, what next Wellesbourne?

soaringhigh650
11th Jul 2014, 17:27
Rumor has it that an Israeli man of some character owns the lease which expires this fall. His attitude problems were key to making sure they weren't renewed.

The landowners wanted him out and the CAA has little to do with him anymore.

The key to being influential in your cause is:
1) Having money, and
2) Building successful relationships with lawyers and powerful people in government

This has neither.

Sir George Cayley
11th Jul 2014, 20:52
Is he not the guy behind the CAA Complaints stand at Sywell Expo?

SGC

Dean McBride
13th Jul 2014, 19:38
Award Panshanger Aerodrome a Conservation Area - e-petitions (http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/67232) :ok:

Holwell Hyde Heritage.

Bob S
13th Jul 2014, 19:51
The local authority are also pushing hard for a housing development on the site and if planning permission is granted this will mean a considerable windfall for the airfield owners. I think this is the driving factor rather than any disputes with Haim Merkado.

PA28140
15th Jul 2014, 19:48
I know Hiam, He can be difficult. but his intentions are normally good. Does anyone know how much money it would cost to buy out the owners? is it even an option?

Bob S
16th Jul 2014, 13:31
With what the owners would get from developers if planning permission is granted I doubt that is an option, but the potential value is based on gaining planning permission for the development. There is a lot of local opposition to the plans so it is not a certainty yet.

DHfan
16th Jul 2014, 15:00
Going by the first post on this thread, which I'd completely forgotten about until I went back and re-read it, the landowners are the driving force behind the plan anyway. The lease holder and flying club are just incidentals who are in their way.

It's not helped by some idiot in government a few years ago decreeing that airfields are brownfield sites. It would help if there was actually a legal difference between an airport and a field with a few buildings in one corner where planning is concerned.

Wander00
16th Jul 2014, 17:26
DHFan, despite ISTR Prescott saying that including airfields in the list of brownfield sites had been an error and they would be taken off the list. but they never were

DHfan
16th Jul 2014, 18:03
I was fairly sure that that was the particular idiot who made the decision but I wasn't absolutely certain. I didn't know he'd said it was a mistake though.
Has any lobbying taken place to get it changed while we've still got a few left?

Dean McBride
16th Jul 2014, 21:45
Chickenhouse Double thanks for the tip!

I Need this question asked in Parliament; 100,000 UK Signees; the question: 'Make Panshanger Aerodrome a Conservation Area'.

Bob Upanddown
17th Jul 2014, 08:10
I think removing the brownfield site designation would be better than a preservation order. You will end up with a few buildings preserved, not the whole airfield. The buildings might be important to the residents and to local history (and, indeed, they should be preserved if that is the case) but "we" need the runway and associated land.

I have met the man at Panshanger and I expect he can be very difficult to deal with if you don't share his views. If you don't get on with a tenant, then don't renew the lease. That may be the simple fact behind this closure.

Of course, if there are other parties interested in taking over the lease of the airfield to run it as an airfield, flying school, etc., I doubt they will broadcast their intentions on Pprune.

Wander00
17th Jul 2014, 12:47
ISTR the Prescott/brown field site thing being discussed on the forum at the time. Probably too long ago for a search to throw it up

Would AOPA know anything?

soaringhigh650
17th Jul 2014, 16:11
Depends if they received enough donations for their free electronic GAR. :E

Dean McBride
29th Jul 2014, 00:59
Somewhere in the past with Save Panshanger, is yes, but the Panshanger Residents Committee (aka Panshanger People) were set up when the community were engaged via the save panshanger group. the old save panshanger group (as I call it) came to an end in February last year and like Johnny English was reborn with a new leader and the residents committee continued the fight and still are. I could have had a part to play in all that but alongside saving panshanger, I found myself in a deep personal problem and my focus shifted to that issue and withdrawing from my intense pressure campaign for panshanger to trying to save my personal issue, but alas it was not to be. I have come back now in to the fray and finished off some work left undone when I left the campaign but now the Sewerage Infrastructure partners of the 2009 Water Cycle Study all have a copy of my own version of the 2009 WCS Evidence and I found in particular Harlow, East Herts & Anglian Water were very interested in that doc, shame though that the local council did not carry out their own WCS Review (as recommended by Thames Water). The History also I have found new evidence that states that the Secretary of State can overule WHBC decision on the Conservation Area Appraisal by the heritage company as like with Kenley Aerodrome, Panshanger is also a Factually rare Aerodrome and only 1 of 4 in the UK today. Watch this space. A long winded reply and a vague one in places.:eek:

blakark
29th Jul 2014, 10:21
Hi,

I just went into Panshanger recently, and have been there a few times. They've always been friendly and fine on the radio. I had an engine problem this time, and the instructors and Manager all helped diagnose the fault, fantastic! I hadn't realized it was under threat of closure, what is happening with all these airfields?

The UK is seriously damaging its GA ability, as licence numbers fall and airfields close. We've lost Filton and Manston and now Panshanger. What is it with this housing? Britain is already crowded, the roads are choked, when is this going end, when the UK is just one big housing estate? or maybe when an airliner crashes in to a housing estate because there are no runways close enough anymore!

GA needs more flexibility, out of hours usage and more airfields. The use of GPS overlays to allow instrument approaches, where there weren't any previously, possibly like in the US where the IR is really the next step from a PPL, with the rolling 6 months, 6 approaches to keep current.

It'll be a shame if another one goes, especially one a good as Panshanger

soaringhigh650
29th Jul 2014, 10:39
and more airfields

No it doesn't. It needs accessible runways in better quality locations.

Many large airports charge stupid money even though they are not being fully used.

Many small airports don't even have hard runways or LPV approaches. They are miles away from civilization and hence only attracts the old retired crowd as opposed to the young affluent crowd who live in big cities. They also shut down at the slightest deterioration of weather.

Quality please, not quantity.

Dean McBride
29th Jul 2014, 21:36
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Holwell-Hyde-Heritage/620926377929865?ref_type=bookmark

Holwell Hyde Heritage (http://ab-initio.wix.com/holwellhydeheritage)

https://twitter.com/HolwellHyde

Award Panshanger Aerodrome a Conservation Area - e-petitions (http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/67232)

https://www.facebook.com/notes/dean-mcbride/save-panshanger-holwell-hyde-heritage-links-are-here/630250670318918

'The link above this line is worth a visit'. :mad:

Dean McBride
29th Jul 2014, 21:55
:D
Planning Listed Buildings & Conservation Act 1990, states the following:

'The Secretary of State may from time to time determine that any part of a local planning authority's area, which is not for the time be designated as a Conservation Area of Special Architectural or Historic Interest, the Character or Appearance of which it is Desirable to Preserve or Enhance, and if he so determines, he may designate that part as a Conservation Area'. :ok:

Ab-Initio Verimus Calum.

Dean McBride
1st Aug 2014, 12:07
Today I received a letter from the Dutch Ministry of Defence concerning my Panshanger enquiries as a follow up to the King of the Netherlands.
:D:):mad::O

Dean McBride
25th May 2015, 16:39
This competition ends on May 30th 2015, but here is the link, if you want to vote; ideally all 10 votes would be nice:

https://community-fund.aviva.co.uk/voting/Project/View/924 :ugh::mad::{:ok:

Sir George Cayley
25th May 2015, 17:05
Its a big fat 10 from me!

SGC

Curlytips
25th May 2015, 18:26
And from Curly.

RO13FLY
25th May 2015, 19:02
Plus 10 from me

Rob

Dean McBride
25th May 2015, 19:16

Thanks Sir George.

Thanks Curlytips!

Thanks RO13Fly!

Dean McBride
31st May 2015, 12:30
Voting is now closed, Thanks to everyone who voted in the aviva competition. Our total votes are a wapping 905. These go in to a draw and takes place on June 4th. Good all round effort! Thankyou.:D:ok::):D

https://community-fund.aviva.co.uk/voting/Project/View/924 :D

Dean McBride
2nd Jun 2015, 21:50
Sorry Guys, 'Aviva said No', not enough votes. 4,000,000 votes cast nationwide. Tough competition they said.

Thankyou for Voting. :D:ok:

pasir
3rd Jun 2015, 08:19
Just a note on Prescott - I believe he is on record for the following gaff -
'The Green Belt is a Labour Achievement and we intend to build on it'.

fade to grey
5th Jun 2015, 13:16
Rang up for an instructing job there in late 90s and spoke to some rude, foreign sounding ass@ole.
Rudest man I've spoke to in GA.

If he still runs it , I have little sympathy

tmmorris
25th Oct 2015, 17:19
Any update on Panshanger? Assume no news is bad news :(

cpumad
26th Oct 2015, 18:37
As far as I know, the site is still empty. The owners of the land do not have planning permission to build on it yet although I understand that some of the old hangars have been pulled down.

Maripose have 3 proposals for development, with one of them retaining a runway my moving it slightly north of its current position.

One of the issues for Maripose is that the official green belt border lies on the runway so building north of it is harder for them..

That's all I know

tmmorris
26th Oct 2015, 19:57
Thanks. I bet the T2 has gone - to be fair it was in a poor state.

Baikonour
27th Oct 2015, 09:31
Thanks. I bet the T2 has gone - to be fair it was in a poor state.
Affirm. Last time I passed over, there was just the hint of an outline left of it. Runway and taxiway looked like they're still being mown, though.

B.

trevs99uk
4th Mar 2018, 11:36
I see Panshangar needs support again..

Make your voice heard and keep up the pressure before 8th March!
Sue Hart
United Kingdom
4 MAR 2018 — We need you to show your support once again, there is an ongoing planning hearing regarding Panshanger, we have until the 8th of March to gather support for our plan.

You can make your voice heard by going to the council's website through clicking on the link... and support the application for a community aerodrome:

Welwyn Hatfield Borough Council Offices - Online Planning Register (http://planning.welhat.gov.uk/plandisp.aspx?recno=86720)

(If you can email a screenshot of your submission to [email protected]. If you have already registered on the council website, just log in with those details, if not please register to make your comment count.)

There has been a lot happening recently concerning our beloved local airfield. There has been another Planning Inspector hearing on the local plan put forward by the council, and our group Panshanger Community Airfield made an outline planning application setting out formally our plan to reopen the airfield.
We will not accept Panshanger being anything other than a bright light for the future of the community.

Now the people of Welwyn Hatfield and the wider aviation community, need to let the council planners know that we are very excited about the prospect of reinstating such an iconic piece of Welwyn Garden City’s cultural heritage, and look forward to making it a truly wonderful place that they will be proud to have in their borough, a source of joy, adventure, fun, education, inspiration to young and old!

The Draft Local Plan promised ‘the opportunity for a realigned grass runway’ and that ‘development should be configured to allow for the opportunity’ so we need to hold them to their word.
Please act now so your voice is heard before 8th March 2018.

LowNSlow
6th Mar 2018, 10:05
Response sent and the address sent to few more people. Good luck.

XTEC
4th Sep 2018, 14:18
Just looking at the Project Phoenix website, does anyone know the latest with the planning application? I can't find any recent news. Thanks.

trevs99uk
4th Sep 2018, 20:00
Found on another forum

Two new planning applications for airfields have been submitted to Welwyn & Hatfield Borough Council to replace Panshanger, one between Welwyn Garden City and Hatfield, the other at Hatfield on the old aerodrome site.

Welwyn Hatfield Borough Council Offices - Online Planning Register (http://planning.welhat.gov.uk/plandisp.aspx?recno=87990)
Welwyn Hatfield Borough Council Offices - Online Planning Register (http://planning.welhat.gov.uk/plandisp.aspx?recno=88265)

XTEC
5th Sep 2018, 11:50
Thank you trevs99uk