PDA

View Full Version : FI or pilot?

NorthRider
9th Apr 2009, 06:03
What is your aviation identity? Do you consider yourself as pilot in general and FI just a rating among others or are you an FI and proud of it?
When I began instructing I thought of it as just shomething to do before I hop on to a boeingbus. No longer so... I now find that instructing is what I really want to do. Get all the possible instructon ratings and become the best possible instructor. When someone asks me what kind of work do you do, I reply that I am an FI. Sure is someone offerd me a shinyjet job I would not turn it down:}... but I would like to keep instructing on the side.
How about you?

Put1992
9th Apr 2009, 18:19
FI isn't a pilot?

Rugbyears
9th Apr 2009, 18:51
Kindly elaborate..

isi3000
9th Apr 2009, 19:07
Do you consider yourself as pilot

What? A Flight Instructor IS a pilot :ugh:

SkyCamMK
9th Apr 2009, 19:27
We are licensed commercial pilots with instructor ratings so really we are teachers!! Seriously, only a suitably experienced, qualified and current pilot could teach newcomers in the authorised way. When I tell people I have a CPL they often mistake it for the ATPL and liken the role to a bus driver. A flight instructor is generally understood immediately so it may simply depend on the party you are speaking to/with. Personally I consider myself a pilot first but as such I love to share my experience with others many of whom will be student pilots. Hope that helps...

ReverseFlight
9th May 2009, 16:12
I think Simulator Instructors are an interesting breed, if they exist at all.

They are probably not a "status" pilot and definitely not there to build flight time. It's a true test of someone's enthusiam to teach.

I'd be interested to hear your views.

NorthRider
10th May 2009, 20:30
I find that dedicated sim Instructors are most often guys/gals who have lost their medical but whant to keep "flying" and whant to keep instructing.
Thumbs up to them!:ok:

And to try to clarify my original question...
Is FI just a rating among others or is it your pilot identity? When asked what kind of pilot you are some might say "Captain" some might say "FI" or "Fighter pilot" but very few would say "multi engine" for instance.
Maby that helps, or maby it totally confuses you:}

chrisbl
10th May 2009, 21:16
We are licensed commercial pilots with instructor ratings

Not quite - some are licenced private pilots with instructor ratings.

In terms of attitude probably as professional if not more so as they are not passing time bitching whilst waiting to get into an airline.

batman123
10th May 2009, 21:42
I like to fly generally, so airbus or c172, I like both.I am rated on both.

people ask me what I do: I say I am an airline pilot and flight instructor too.

I think flying a big plane can be borring, and u enjoy to fly something smaller. Something easier to turn and which ask for pilotage instead of autopilot and autothrust.

so guys who teach, don't think u are "less" because u fly something smaller. at the end, when u fly, the cockpit of a 172 is higher than a B747 on the ground.

BetpumpS
11th May 2009, 09:08
at the end, when u fly, the cockpit of a 172 is higher than a B747 on the ground.

Your posts get more nonsensical each time I visit.

chrisbl
11th May 2009, 18:19
When they let their feelings known to anyone around,students usually.

Not bitterness, just disappointmnet.