PDA

View Full Version : CAA Licence Processing

TwoEightLeftHand
6th Apr 2009, 20:20
I passed my PPL skills test last Wednesday and sent off everything to the CAA who were more than happy to swipe my bank account the day the application landed on their mat (Friday). Can anyone tell me where on their website I can find their current processing times which are mentioned on other posts? Is it also correct that even though I've passed, until I get my Licence back I can't take passengers with me? My club is having its first fly out soon and I don't think I'm going to be lucky enough to be P1 that day! Any help / advice is greatly appreciated.

L'aviateur
6th Apr 2009, 22:21
Personnel Licensing | Safety Regulation (http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?catid=137)

This might be what your looking for, not sure if it gives a real estimate of how long it will take, but its normally about 2 weeks. The below information would suggest that the oldest PPL application on the 24th March was 14 days old.

Important Licensing Information

Please note, the oldest licence applications in progress are:

Professional Flight Crew 10 March 2009
Private Flight Crew 10 March 2009
Instructors 16 March 2009
NPPL Flight Crew 9 March 2009Last updated: 24 March 2009

Gertrude the Wombat
6th Apr 2009, 22:24
Is it also correct that even though I've passed, until I get my Licence back I can't take passengers with me?
Yes. But at least you've realised that you can fly solo (with an instructor sign-off as though you were still a student) - some people think they can't fly at all until they get the licence.

And of course if there's an instructor sitting in the RHS on a club fly-out with other people in the back you can do all the flying, you just can't actually log it as P1.

julian_storey
7th Apr 2009, 08:28
I have often wondered why we can't operate the same system as the FAA, where the examiner issues you a temporary licence immediately after a successful flight test.

InfraBoy
7th Apr 2009, 09:37
can't you log it as P1/S or doesn't that exist anymore. (Just starting revalidation!!!)

mad_jock
7th Apr 2009, 10:03
P1/S or PICUS as its now known in JAR can only be logged on completion of a passed flight test with an examiner.

It can't be logged at any time with a FI onboard unless you are on an Integrated commercial course.

Club check outs and a whole raft of other "check outs" have to be logged as Dual or if the instructor is willing and doesn't log anything as PIC. Whoever signs the tech log as PIC logs the hours as PIC.

airborne_artist
7th Apr 2009, 10:19
What are the procedures in the FCL office that take so long to issue a licence? Can they only check the documents at specific phases/combinations of the moon/tide or similar?

Keygrip
7th Apr 2009, 12:36
Julian - when I asked that question, the response was "Because it's illegal - only the CAA can issue licences".

Now the question is - are the CAA any different to the DSA (Driving Standards Agency - as they were called when I left the UK 11 years ago). Driving examiners gave out certficates of qualification NOT driving licences.

That certificate entitled the holder to act as a qualified driver until the issue of a full drivers licence, by Swansea.

The FAA examiner doesn't give a licence or rating either, of course - they just issue a "Temporary Airmens Certificate" that entitles the holder to exercise the privileges of the successful flight test for 120 days to allow Oklahoma City the opportunity to decide whether or not the application for the licence or rating is acceptable (if not, the TAC expires and the privilege is lost).

Absolutely no reason. other than old fashioned view of job protectionism and self importance on behalf of the quango.

bingoboy
7th Apr 2009, 19:16
"Absolutely no reason. other than old fashioned view of job protectionism and self importance on behalf of the quango." mmm

Seem to recall that in the days when UK PLC was looking to outsource many functions a request to contract out the fcl function met with comments to the effect of it's too difficult!

How can a defined set of rules with a well laid out application form be complex!

A temporary certificate could be issued for many things but that would require a customer orientated approach.

Whopity
7th Apr 2009, 19:38
A temporary certificate could be issued for many things but that would require a customer orientated approach. And a change in the law. Get onto your MP and arrange it!

Keygrip
7th Apr 2009, 20:34
Who's "suggestion" was that law in the first place?

If "they" were the ones suggesting it, then it would be almost automatic.

Shunter
7th Apr 2009, 20:39
The CAA have 21 trays in PLD. When your application arrives they take payment and put it into tray 1. The next day it moves into tray 2, the next day tray 3. Come back 18 days later and it gets removed from tray 21 and processed (takes about 10 minutes).

Think I'm joking? I've spent enough time loitering in the "atrium" peering through the windows to see how long it takes to issue a license. Note that the 10 minute period is of course regularly interrupted by visits to the subsidised canteen to drink coffee 8 times per day, smoke cigarettes on the (covered) smoking balcony and peruse the regular street markets that appear between 11am and 2pm. Also worth noting that the canteen has a special "expensive" rate for visitors, despite the fact that they're the ones who actually subsidise it in the first place!!

julian_storey
7th Apr 2009, 22:38
Which takes us nicely back to the FAA system where nobody really cares how long it takes to process their licence application because they are happily exercising the privileges of the temporary airman's certificate issued by the examiner when they passed their check ride :ok:

Whopity
8th Apr 2009, 07:43
We'll soon be into the EASA system and the UK law will be of no consequence. No change to the process however.