PDA

View Full Version : PA28-181 cowling

Leap
6th Apr 2009, 09:32
Hello all,

Its a bit of an odd question but I was wondering whether someone could tell me how to open a 181 cowling. I have flow 161's and tried the same method to open a 181's cowl at my flying club to have a look at the engine (to satisfy my curiosity about the differences) but it wouldn't budge.

I feel like a right prat asking the club instructors to show me the engine......:O their usual response to my questions are have a look for yourself or heres the book go read it.

Thnx
Leap

flyingman-of-kent
6th Apr 2009, 10:00
You should not feel stupid asking the club instructors anything - it is their job to answer questions like this. Imagine if you got the wrong information and later caused a safety issue?

Mark1234
6th Apr 2009, 10:36
The -181 I fly has a moulded one piece affair that covers over the top and both sides - while it has the clips as per the 161, it's not removable without a screwdriver and significant fiddling. There's an inspection port on the top for getting at the dipstick however.

Assuming that's representative, the answer is - not easily! You're not missing anything, it is rather different to the 161.

Ringway Flyer
6th Apr 2009, 10:52
You need two people to do it easily. Remove the screws carefully (i.e., don't drop any in the grass) and then with one person either side lift up and then off forwards... (I think the rear has to lift first, to allow rearward movement to release the catches at the front).

It can be a bit fiddly getting all the screws to line up on replacement. Worth having a look at least once, so you can see what's where. And to check the brake fluid level.

Have fun!

9v-SKA
6th Apr 2009, 10:52
The -180 I flew had the 4 cam lock "screws" too. You would need 2 person to open it. First open all the latches lift the back part of the cowling then slide it forward a bit and the cowling can be lifted.

It has been sometime since I last flew so my memory might be a bit rusty. But thats what I remember.

HPMan
6th Apr 2009, 12:05
The 1967 180 Cherokee we have in our Club has the standard 4 catches on the cowl. You need to first undo those and then remove the cowling by pulling it forwards and very slightly upwards - best done as a 2 man job! The upper cowl has 2 spigots on the front end which engage with 2 recesses on the front of the lower cowl, hence why it is removed forwards. Care does need to be exercised, however, to avoid damage to the cowling (been on/off many times since manufacture in 1967) and the prop/spinner. I'll admit it is not as simple as later PA28s with hinged cowlings. PS. Your Club should be more willing to answer your question IMHO: it makes for a better educated pilot/Club member who will be able to better care for the aircraft and ultimately be a safer pilot. Time to get off my soap box....

Johnm
6th Apr 2009, 16:10
The PA28 181 doesn't have a hinge in the middle at the top, so you have to remove the whole of the top half.

It is secured by similar catches to 161 and you have to undo them on both sides and make sure they're hanging clear, then lift up the edge close to the windscreen slightly (and note that it can be sticky on the seals ) once the back edge is free slide it forward to disengage the two locating spigots from the holes in the lower half just behind the spinner.

You can then lift it and roll it towards you and walk clear, though it's usually easier with two people.

Refit by reversing the procedure and be VERY careful to locate the front spigots properly.