PDA

View Full Version : PPL Ground Exams

matjr79
1st Apr 2009, 13:09
It will be a few months before i can afford to start flying lessons for a PPL.
I have the full PPL study pack from Afe with all study books etc... So whilst i'm waiting to start the flying could i be cracking on with getting the studying and exams completed??

I will be looking at learning to fly at either Barton, Multiflight or Blackpool as i live north manchester. Are there any recommended ground schools i could get advice from?

Thanks!
Mat, 30, Manchester.

PilotPieces
1st Apr 2009, 13:28
You probably wont need ground school so to speak. Perhaps the odd explanation here or there from your instructor.

Get cracking with the books while you have some time and dont do what I did and let the flying catch up with me and try doing a whole book in a night because I was likely to go solo the next day or something silly.

Get the PPL Confuser book BUT dont use it until you have read the text books, otherwise you arent really learning anything but answers.

Read a chapter, do the practise questions in the back of the book, repeat.

Then once you have finished the book go through the confuser and set yourself some mock exams.

matjr79
1st Apr 2009, 13:41
Thanks for the reply,

I also have the Confuser book too.. will have a crack!

Another option for training i have is HGFC on PA28's. Roughly same price as blackpool, multiflight and barton per hour @ 158.00.

Is there any distinct advantages or dis-advantages between PA28 and say a C150/C152?.

PilotPieces
1st Apr 2009, 13:49
There will be no differences in regards to training for a PPL. The PA-28s are bigger and will make for more a comfortable cockpit.

Really is down to personal preference.

The main difference is usually the cost of rental.

PA-28s are usually around £30 an hour more.

BackPacker
1st Apr 2009, 14:49
Mat, if you're a bit cash-strapped and likely to remain so in the future, it might be worth checking the dates at which your exam passes expire. I don't have the exact periods to mind right now but I seem to remember a period of 18 months in there somewhere.

So if your funds do not allow you to complete your flight training in, say, a year and a half, it might be worth delaying the ground exams a bit to avoid expiry.

You have the books. Details are in Air Law without a doubt.

Vems
1st Apr 2009, 20:24
To be hones, just read the book through, make some summaries, read them, over and over again. Get yourself a PPL confuser, it's realllly helpful. You'll pass the exams with no problem, although watch out for the fact that you'll get all your flight training done before they expire ;)

honda cbx
2nd Apr 2009, 07:29
Have you looked into training at Sherburn aero club, easy from manchester,M62 straight there just about.They have new AT3's pa28 and cesna150, all cheaper than multiflight,and more runways,and groundscool, good instructors. Give them a bell and ask for some prices.

nickyjsmith
2nd Apr 2009, 11:46
All of the theory exams have to be taken in an 18 month period at maximum and they are then valid for 2 years from the date of the last exam.
Leave an easy one like HP&L to be taken just before your test or just before the 18 month period is about to run out. That gives you another 2 years to get your test in.
I didn't understand the 18 month thing (took them all in 3 months) and had to retake mine after they lapsed after 2 years. All done now though and passed my skills test 1st time.
So get a plan, stick to it and it will happen if you make it !!

Good luck.

liam548
2nd Apr 2009, 13:56
Have you looked into training at Sherburn aero club, easy from manchester,M62 straight there just about.They have new AT3's pa28 and cesna150, all cheaper than multiflight,and more runways,and groundscool, good instructors. Give them a bell and ask for some prices.

I agree I looked at both and glad I went for Sherburn!!