PDA

View Full Version : Boeing 737 foot brakes

nascargeek21
31st Mar 2009, 13:29
Are there any foot brakes on a Boeing 737? If so, are they between the rudder pedals, or beside the rudder pedals, or somewhere else? I mean the type of 737 that AirTran Airways operates (I think its the 737-700 or the 737-800).

Checkboard
31st Mar 2009, 13:37
Brake pedals on aircraft aren't a separate pedal, like a car. The rudder pedals are the brake pedals - push on the bottom for rudder, push on the top of the pedal for brake (on that side.)

MMEMatty
31st Mar 2009, 14:06
Some UK aircraft "of a certain age" use a lever or catch on the control column to control the brakes, with the position of the rudder pedals determining which side wheel the brakes were applied to.

Spitfire, Hurricane and Lightning i think were all fitted with this (although I am prepared to stand corrected!)

As far as Airliners (Including all 737 variants), I can't think of any that have a different system to the split rudder pedal/brake pedal as described above. The only other thing to Add is that aircraft generally have another brake lever that locks off the system, this is used for parking, and imaginatively called the Parking brake!

Matty

(Everything you wanted to know about brake pedals, but were afraid to ask!)

Exaviator
5th Apr 2009, 02:51
Some UK aircraft "of a certain age" use a lever or catch on the control column to control the brakes, with the position of the rudder pedals determining which side wheel the brakes were applied to.

You are quite correct Matty, and you can add the DH, Heron, Dove and Drover as well as the Viscount to that list. Cheers

Sciolistes
5th Apr 2009, 04:29
Not forgetting the French Wassmer WA40s and WA50s that have a handbrake above the throttle that applied pressure to both wheels evenly - no differential braking, just rudder/nosewheel steering.

Lightning5
5th Apr 2009, 07:35
Confirm Lightning. 16 years love / hate!!!:ok:

Feather #3
5th Apr 2009, 08:24
Err...a point of order; the Drover's handbrake is at hip level on the LHS, same as Chippy.

G'day ;)

captjns
5th Apr 2009, 10:14
The older PA-28s have a pull handle for the brakes.