PDA

View Full Version : FAA x-wind limits

oceancrosser
26th Mar 2009, 23:16
Recently arriving in BOS, they were using runway 27 (mostly, but offering 22L as well).
The winds were 20027/38 and US operators (most) were landing on 27. We chose to go for 22L as our crosswind limit is 30 kts (gusts included).
What does the FAR say about gusts in such cases? Can you legally ignore the gusts as they seemed to be doing?

galaxy flyer
27th Mar 2009, 00:54
If you are speaking of Monday, I was there also meeting Aer Lingus with a Challenger. The rule is that crosswind limits are "demonstrated" and are not limiting on the operator. Just don't go off into the boonies.

GF

alf5071h
27th Mar 2009, 01:29
Maximum demonstrated crosswinds are published in the AFM. Generally, this is taken as guidance for crosswind operations, and unless the manufacturer specifically discusses wind gusts their application is open to operator / crew judgment.

Where a crosswind has been found to be limiting, it is published in the AFM as a limit (CS 25 AMC 25.1581 para 6). There does not appear to be any ruling on how wind gusts are published and hence 'legally' interpreted, with the exception of HUD certification (CS 25 AMC 1 25.1329 para 14.1.4.1).

EASA ref (FARs similar): CS 25 Large Aircraft, Amendment 5 (www.easa.eu.int/ws_prod/g/doc/Agency_Mesures/Certification_Spec/CS-25%20Amdt%205.pdf).

BelArgUSA
27th Mar 2009, 04:58
Essentially, the FAA publishes a "demonstrated crosswind" limit...
It appears in your AFM, or your AOM.
For the 747 Classic - 30 Kts.
xxx
Then there is a "company policy limit" which may appear in the GOM.
PanAm's for the 747 was - 30 kts... no surprise there.
No words about gusts, in the AFM, AOM or GOM.
My opinion, consider limiting yourself to gusts not exceeding steady wind limits.
xxx
If you fly an airplane with a AFM or AOM "demonstrated limit" of 30 Kts -
And land with wind "35G45" direct crosswind, you are now a test pilot
That is the good wisdom of a friend formerly FAA inspector.
I dont think the insurance (nor your chief pilot) will appreciate any damage.
And FAA inspectors might call it "reckless" operation of an aircraft.
xxx
Remember, little boy and little girls...
Swept wing airplanes, is not only the bank angle (and outer engine pods).
Nose up touchdown attitude of swept wings make bank+attitude limits more critical.
xxx
When I landed in bad x-winds, I could have qualified for Navy pilot wings.
:D
Happy contrails