PDA

View Full Version : Pre-reqs for 3-axis microlight AFI course

betterfromabove
22nd Mar 2009, 21:36
Hi

Can anyone confirm what the exact number of hours is required P1 on 3-axis microlights for a PPL(A) to apply to start an AFI course on the same type??

I understood it was "at the FIC's discretion" & usually somewhere between 25hrs & 65hrs. However, spoke to a flexwing FI at the weekend who suggested the rule has now become formalised & was 65hrs.

Was he getting confused with flexwings....or is it indeed also the case for 3-axis as well now?

Have all the other boxes ticked, but negligable time on 3-axis right now, so want to guage an idea of what kind of hours-building would be required after the "diffs sign-off" & NPPL(M) paperwork.

Many thanks
BFA

Whopity
23rd Mar 2009, 07:00
The requirement is for 100 hours as a microlight pilot however, as the holder of a SEP rating, you will need to contact the CAA, Standards Support to request a reduction if your consider that you have equivalent experience on other aeroplanes. If you qualify for a reduction, then you are also required to obtain the recommendation of an independent FIC (Microlight) instructor before commencing training.

BEagle
23rd Mar 2009, 09:09
So, if you're a fully qualified JAR-FCL FI(A) and wish to instruct on something like a Eurostar, you need (in theory) 60 hrs as PIC of Microlights (see Lasors H7.1.b) before starting a course just to be an AFI. Then another 140 hours on Microlights, including 100 hours and 10 months of Microlight instruction before you can upgrade to FI (Microlight)?

Whereas if you're a fully qualified JAR-FCL FI(A) and wish to instruct on a single pilot ME aeroplane, apart (obviously) from holding the MEP Class Rating, you only need 30 hours PIC on the ME class / type before starting the course?

Those Microlights must be tricky little things......

Or maybe (more likely!), the BMAA have higher standards than the JAA / €ASA?

Whopity
23rd Mar 2009, 11:57
No a FI(A) can teach on microlights as he has a qualified instructor. A PPL(M) holder requires 100 hours, which will have been on microlights, to do a AFI(M) Course. PPL holders with a SEP can have the 100 hours reduced depending on what they have been flying. The arrangement which was agreed with the BMAA has worked so far.

Final point, the JAA have never dealt with Microlights and its not certain where they fit into EASA. As far as standards go the BMAA set very high standards. They have after all been responsible for self regulation since their inception.

BEagle
23rd Mar 2009, 12:40
As far as standards go the BMAA set very high standards. They have after all been responsible for self regulation since their inception.

And long may they continue to remain free of the yoke of €urocracy!

betterfromabove
23rd Mar 2009, 22:50
This is where exactly I'm a little confused....it seems the BMAA set the rules for the microlight AFI course, but on the question of valid microlight P1 hours required they defer to the CAA...

Is that because the CAA judge the hours you'll need to start the AFI course based on the Class A types you've been flying .....& they are "in theory" a better judge of that than the BMAA?!?

Question arises, would taildragger time be viewed postively, or types with similar landing characteristics, say??

Whopity - From what you say, you're not aware of any formal 65hr fixed requirement coming in soon then?? It's still very much an appraisal based on your Group A past experience??

Just to clarify, I'm a JAA PPL(A) looking at the idea of instructing 3-axis part-time. I have all the other boxes ticked, but am trying to gauge what the P1 hours-building element will need to be to get on an AFI course.

BTW, I'm also hearing there are only a very few schools offering such AFI training at the moment...is this true?

betterfromabove
23rd Mar 2009, 22:56
While we're at it....am I reading the rules correctly that if:

(a) you were a CRI(SEP) & (b) signed-off on 3-axis,

you would be able to instruct (unpaid) on 3-axis using your CRI privileges?

This is based on my understanding that the CRI covers you to instruct on whatever Class of aircraft you're allowed to fly yourself (goes for SEP, MEP etc, so presumably covers the microlight world too). Or would you also need the paperwork exercise of the NPPL(M) too??

Enough questions for one night....

BFA

Whopity
23rd Mar 2009, 22:59
I am certainly not aware of any 65 hour requirement. I have seen a number of pilots with Group A/SEP experience complete the AFIM course with 25 hours PIC on microlights. You might like to check with the BMAA.

betterfromabove
23rd Mar 2009, 23:29
Yes, think the BMAA will be my next port of call.

I have a feeling the 65hr figure would be more appropriate for a PPL(A) -> flexwing conversion.

All the information I'd seen previous to my discussion with the FI(M) on Sat was that it was indeed discretionary & somewhere in the 25-100 hr range depending on your Group A experience.

Thanks for all the feedback.

Will post any answers I get on here.

Cheers
BFA

xrayalpha
29th Mar 2009, 18:22
Hi,

As someone who has an AFI microlights at the airfield, who doesn't hold a microlight licence, this might be useful?

He had a JAR SEP and a Canadian licence, but needed 60 hrs as PIC of Microlights (see Lasors H7.1.b s mentioned earlier). Experience was mainly on Katanas.

If his light aircraft hours had been on a PFA (now LAA) light aircraft such as a Eurostar or C42 - for which there are factory-built microlight versions which are structurally identical used in microlight schools - and he had had a few hundred hours P1 then he might have got a dispensation.

But if you have 200 hours in a 182, then you might have to do the full 60 hours in a microlight.

As it was, my chap's 60 hours included the pre-AFI course flight test and he had 60hrs and 5 mins I think when he started the course - including the flight down to York for the course since he did the course in our aircraft too!

It did take the CAA a little persuading that he could have an NPPL (M) AFI rating on a JAR SEP!

Very best,

XA

XXPLOD
7th Apr 2009, 19:38
My understanding is that to instruct on microlights you must have a minimum of a NPPL(M) with 100 hours P1. Or, if like me you have a JAR PPL you must still have 100 hours P1, at least 60 of which must be on microlights.

A CRI cannot teach an ab initio student. If they were current on a given microlight then I assume their ability to conduct the differences training only would be valid.

ETA: You can have a AFI (M) rating on a JAR PPL, I know at least one of the instructors at my flying school who has. I dare say it's unusual which may cause the CAA to scratch their head when they open the paperwork!