PDA

View Full Version : FI in FTO, I need your advice please!

VNA Lotus
19th Mar 2009, 14:11
Hey guys,

I will get a new job soon, in a FTO (france).
I flew in flying clubs before, and sometimes I did not have the time for briefing...

very weird, but when I did my FIC, we had all stuff like powerpoint, tranparence etc

but when I was in a flying club, I had to fly a lot and as soons as a student get out of the plane, another one get in... It was not my fault but they wanted me to fly...

I need your help cause I got a new call from a FTO for a job.
But all my briefings I did were in french of course.
but in the futur I will need to make them in english because we receive students from abroad...

I am looking for english briefings.

I have got the Campbell manual, but it is a little bit too much ins't it ??? cause I am not sure...

do you develop for instance, for the climb breifing,:

the lift, the weight, the power required, power available etc, all diagrams etc ???

In my opinion these are long briefings but I wonder, do you have time to make long briefing ?? (in fto ).

'cause, well, FI is a good job, I love it, but what I dislike is, instructors are asked to teach more and more in less and less time... :ugh:

Other option, I saw the ONtrack manual, more lighter than the Campbell one, so what do you think ? Is it more appropriate ? (well for short briefing I guess).

I came from a little flying and soon I will work for a big fto, I am a little bit anxious you know...

thanks friends

OneIn60rule
19th Mar 2009, 18:02
Ontrack manuals are exactly as you said, very light but also spot on.

In the UK most FI's learn via the Ontrack manual.

As for long briefings... I would do them when possible if at all. Many a time there's no chance of doing a long briefing with my students as they are all allocated one hour and 30 minutes.

I would believe that this new school that you will be teaching in has a Standards course for new FI's and hence they should point out how they would like things done or not done etc.

1/60

Vortex Thing
2nd Apr 2009, 00:57
One in 60 don't spout rubbish.

In the UK most FI's learn via the Ontrack manual.

If you want to say you like it or it is very good then your opinion is a valid as the next but sweeping and grossly untrue generalizations do not help the inexperienced instructor asking a question. I know many who have never used the ontrack manual. Where are you getting facts like this from please show us or direct us to your reference material.

Campbell has both long and short briefings. The short briefings are quite easy to do in 30mins and can be summarized with all the necessary diagrams in 15 mins. If you are teaching students without having briefed them before getting in the cockpit your school is taking their money for half the job.

A well briefed exercise saves hours of extra tuition later as otherwise the student may manage to successfully copy your demonstration but have no understanding of what they are doing or why. So when they need the newly taught skill in anger they end up unable to apply it if any of the conditions differ from the time they had the demo from you.

Now I realize that some school want the student to fly more hours but this is another thread..........

Mickey Kaye
2nd Apr 2009, 10:48
Having initially used Campbell book when doing my FI course who then later switched to the ontrack manual as I felt it is a much better learning resource.

Campbell in my opinion is one the dullest books imaginable and the only reason for it's popularity is a historical one. As they didn't use to be any alternatives on the market.

This is such a contrast to the Ontrack manual which is much better set out. I also like the way you buy it chapter by chapter as you need it e.g. instrument, night etc

RVR800
2nd Apr 2009, 12:50
Campbell Book is almost as dull as the original Grey's Anatomy only more repetitious - it's very soporific :zzz:

OneIn60rule
2nd Apr 2009, 17:32
I know absolutely no one that uses Campbell.

If you want to nit pick about it I would now say: "I'm not aware of any club/school that uses Campbell and can therefore not recommend it but I certainly would recommend the Ontrack manuals"

This is a very fair statement.

1/60

lady in red
2nd Apr 2009, 21:37
Maybe you do not know anyone that uses Campbell's book, but down here in the South it is very popular (not just for propping up broken bed legs either). Used selectively there is a lot of valuable material in Campbell's book. On the other hand I know nobody who uses On track's manuals around here. They do, on the other hand, use a lot of material (pre-flight briefings, instructor guides etc) produced by another company whose name I will not mention in case it is deemed to be advertising!

Duchess_Driver
2nd Apr 2009, 21:58
Sorry, but another vote for Campbell. Maybe dull, maybe dated and maybe bulky - but has all the information in one place.

Haven't looked at OnTrack - so I can't comment on that.

With respect to the diagrams required - if you have your own already then scan them in and import them to Powerpoint ( a blank paper behind a transparency works ).

The FAA Pilots Handbook of Aviation Knowledge (FAA-H-8083-24) is downloadable from tinterweb and there are numerous good diagrams on Wikipedia or other such sites.

DD

JonathanB
6th Apr 2009, 16:24
The Pooley's pre-flight briefing material is good - can thoroughly recommend it, and lots of schools use it! :)