PDA

View Full Version : PPL in North of Scotland

Manutara
18th Mar 2009, 12:34
Hi,

I'm planning to be staying in the north of Scotland this summer in order to do my PPL. I've read nothing but glowing reports for the Highland Flying School at Inverness Airport, but wondering if anyone had any experiences with the club which will be only 5 mins from where I'm staying, Moray Flying Club, based at RAF Kinloss.

I'm sure both are great, and know that it's only a PPL, but just keen to know any tips as I'd be hoping to fly every day and complete the course in as short a time as possible.

Another question: anyone know if I could fly in Chile with a JAR PPL, without having to do any conversions etc.?

Thanks. :ok:

Stratus Fractus
18th Mar 2009, 18:19
Hi Manutara,
Moray Flying Club is based at RAF Kinloss. I believe it is primarily for people from the services and their families. There was a thread on here about it not so long ago.
Anyway you are coming from a long way away! I hope you enjoy your time in Scotland.
Cheers
Stratus Fractus

Raptorstick
25th Mar 2009, 22:30
Glowing no more...HFS in Inverness have gone down the pot unfortunately!
you can still train with Moray in Kinloss even as a civilian, they will get you clearance to go on base.

Manutara
15th Apr 2009, 21:50
Thanks, just that I'm originally from the UK, and if I ever do go back (unlikely), then I thought that JAR would be useful. Also a way of visiting my family back home and getting my license.

Cheers.

Mike744
20th Apr 2009, 09:27
Hi Manutara,

Training is again available at Inverness Airport. After the demise of Highland Flying School, the Highland Aero Club appointed a new flight training provider Leading Edge/ACS which is operating from the same premises on the North Apron. (LE/ACS are a well established organisation that also operates out of Cumbernauld and Perth)
At present there is one PA38 Tomahawk with the possibility of a further one plus a four seater. As the new training provider has only just commenced at Inverness it'll take time for things to settle down. Training costs are presently around £110/hr for the Tomahawk with circa £25 for an instructor but this may change.

The CFI James, you couldn't wish to meet a more approachable person and the atmosphere at the club is friendly and relaxed. Please PM me if you want more info as I'm also learning on the PA38 there.
Regards,
Mike

Inshallah
20th Apr 2009, 18:26
The Moray Flying Club is a good setup, I work there. We rarely advertise ourselves outwith the military, and so we are often forgotten about as a flying training school in Scotland. We can take a limited number of non military members, although you need a British Passport and to fill in some forms for security clearance. It is a bit of a pain initally (i'll be honest), but we like to think the standard of instruction and quality of the aircraft and facilities are second to none. Give the club a call on 01309 617631 for more info.

I also know a few of the people involved in the new School being established at Inverness, and am sure it will be a good school, and I was pleased to hear that ACS were involved.

Best to visit all training organisations available to you and decide whats best for you. Good luck.

Regarding your other question, as long as Chile are in ICAO, you will be able to fly there on your JAR PPL. There may be some restrictions such as crossing international borders etc, but you'll have to contact the CAA in Chile for full details.