PDA

View Full Version : Burtonwood , no more

maxdrypower
16th Mar 2009, 21:50
Quick heads up for those that may not have noticed , but Burtonwood VRP (top end of mcr LLC)has changed shape dramatically .
If looked up on google or in flying sites it is described as an ex raf airfield .
It used to have lovely big green hangars and taxiway outlines.
It is now a field of rubble with tractors and stuff and no doubt soon to be a housing estate .
So if looking for the old a/f dont be too surprised to find it not there.
Just a musing in case some may be interested

montag
16th Mar 2009, 22:12
It hasn't been an airfield for a very long time - the course of the runway is now the M62. The hangers have been demolished very recently, having been used for storage for a long time. The Ministry of Justice would like to build a titan prison on the site - under the current government you can't have too many prisons. Strangely enough, the local residents disagree.

maxdrypower
16th Mar 2009, 22:16
Funny considering most of the residents in the prisons in the area do come from not a million miles from burtonwood westbound:}

atceng
21st Mar 2009, 01:27
I recall Burtonwood as a USAF airbase,the home of the 'biggest shed in the world',which had a regular bus service running round it.
Gave us under the threat of bread rationing a glimpse of how the other half lived,with pushbutton cream in your coffee,oranges and BANANAS.
Just post war the source of magic items unknown to us at that time,like ball point pens,tinned cream,and macho men who spirited off a few of my female relatives. (They all came back,I wonder why?)
Latterly the source of almost unlimited 'war surplus',the famous bomb sight computer with a cornucopia of motors,cogs and springs,I got a wood prop which hangs on my wall from there,R54 R55 TX and Rx etc.Medicated foot powder also available by the truckload,but you couldnt give it away!
Wont be able to nostalge on passing anymore.http://static.pprune.org/images/smilies/boohoo.gif

atceng

Hen Ddraig
22nd Mar 2009, 22:13
Burtonwood could have been the international airport of the North West.
When the USAF moved out the government offered the entire site to Manchester and Liverpool city councils jointly for £1 to save further development of Ringway and Speke. The city fathers could not come to an agreement as to how to share the costs.
I recall some great USAF air shows on the base and the great variety of aircraft that used to pass overhead my family home en route to and from Burtonwood.

Time to spare, go by air

Hen Ddraig

flybymike
23rd Mar 2009, 00:15
I thought I was fairly ancient but there are some other old b*ggers on here as well....